Throttle Sensor Electrical Issues

I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl, 2.7L, 4WD. My engine started...well bucking is the best word. The engine would be running fine, then suddenly die (but not stop, just go to very low power) for a second and then rev back up to full power. Made the car "buck" every time it returned to full power. Nothing on the engine diagnostic system. Figured out it was the Throttle Position Sensor through troubleshooting. I replaced the sensor, but the problem persisted. I unplugged the sensor completely, and the car works fine now. But I am not getting good gas mileage. I believe the problem could be because there is a loose contact in the cable that connects to the sensor. Maybe bent out of shape so that it momentarily loses contact, and then re-makes contact. Advice? How would I splice and then redo the cable?

I fixed the problem. It turns out that throttle position sensors that I had put in the truck were all faulty. I was using after-market sensors, which I was told have a reputation for being bad right tout of the box. I replaced it with a Toyota certified part, problem is fixed. I am a fan of after-market parts because I think that with certified parts you are just paying for the brand name....but I guess in this case I am wrong.

I fixed the problem. It turns out that throttle position sensors that I had put in the truck were all faulty. I was using after-market sensors, which I was told have a reputation for being bad right tout of the box. I replaced it with a Toyota certified part, problem is fixed. I am a fan of after-market parts because I think that with certified parts you are just paying for the brand name....but I guess in this case I am wrong.
It's becoming more prevalent lately that OEM parts is the way to go. If you ever need knock sensors for you're yota OEM is the only way to go, don't even consider aftermarket. When I had my Ram people were saying just a simple oil pressure sensor was strictly an OEM replacement, most aftermarkets wouldn't work. It's got to the point I'm seriously considering going back to OEM filters even though I haven't had any issues with what I'm using.

Back