Tire/rim size question

AdamOstan

Hello there gents!

This question has to do with tire sizing. It may seem like a dumb question, and if it is so be it.

I've got a 2002 Tacoma that needs a new tire and rim. I was at the pick and pull and I found a Nissan frontier tire that has the same lug configuration. The thing is, it's a 15 inch rim. Currently I am riding 265/70 16r. So my question is, could I put a "bigger" tire on the 15 inch rim to compensate for the difference between the tires on the 16s? Or could I put the same 265/70 on the 15 and if so would it mess up the alignment because of the 1inch difference?

Thank you for taking the time to read. Much appreciated.

Not sure what your trying to accomplish, but you can't put a 16'' tire on a 15'' wheel. You can install a taller tire like a 265/75 16 on the same wheel to replace a 265/70 16 tire. Alignment shouldn't be affected.

Your question comes down to fudging with the aspect ratio of the tire on the 15" rim to make up the difference.

There is more to "matching" wheels than just lug count and lug diameter.
Other factors to consider"
width
diameter
offset
back spacing

Suggest looking to a source like Wheelsamerica.com from Houston. They have remanufactured wheels for just about anything at reasonable prices. You could source an exact match instead of trying to bodge an oddball tire onto a mismatched wheel.

If you go the route to bodge a tire onto the 15" wheel, then you will need at least a 75% aspect ratio assuming you can fit a 265 wide tire. Something like 265/75-15 tire on the 15" wheel.

Good Luck

Last edited:
15 inch tires will only work with 15 inch wheels. Likewise 16 inch tires only work with 16 inch wheels.
If you switch to a 15 inch wheel you should make sure that it has the the same bolt pattern. It has to be a perfect fit.
Not quite sure you want to run 3 - 16 inch wheels and one 15 inch wheel. Hope you are not planning doing that.

15 inch rim may not clear brake caliper either. Check craigslist there is always older Toyota stuff there? You may have an issue with the hub too Toyotas are funky. Its same bolt pattern but you can't put a Chevy rim on a Toyota. But you could put a Toyota rim on a Chevy and make it a better truck! :)

Back