Tire size

XALLANX

Hey got a stock third gen 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport looking to get some all terrain tires got my eyes set on the BF Goodrich KO2 just wondering what's the biggest tire size I can get away with?
I have stock suspension if anyone knows
Thanks

Depends on how much modification you do to the body and suspension and how deep are your pockets.

You can go anywhere from stock to BIG FOOT truck size.

Do you have a purpose for the truck? 4 Wheelin', Overland, Sand, Delivery, Construction, Mall Crawl.......Bro Points.......

You could likely fit a 32'' tire without rubbing, but between the tires extra weight and being taller than stock, your going to lose fuel economy, not mention change your overall gear ratio, and speedo calibration.

You could likely fit a 32'' tire without rubbing, but between the tires extra weight and being taller than stock, your going to lose fuel economy, not mention change your overall gear ratio, and speedo calibration.
Don't forget driveline adjustments, front end alignment issues, decreased load capacity (heavier tires take away from the GVWR). Many things to consider before slappin' on a set of BIG tires.

Anyhow, Good Luck to the OP with his decision.

Bigger tires as such unless your going really big don't have that much affect on front end alignment, same for driveline. I think your incorrect that heavier tires affect the gvwr of a vehicle. Pretty sure that stays the same. What does have an affect is performance and fuel economy.

Bigger tires as such unless your going really big don't have that much affect on front end alignment, same for driveline. I think your incorrect that heavier tires affect the gvwr of a vehicle. Pretty sure that stays the same. What does have an affect is performance and fuel economy.
GVWR is the GROSS Vehicle Weight Rating. It includes the entire vehicle and cargo, not parts of it.

GVWR does not include trailer weight, that is in the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating). Although, the trailer tongue weight is counted against the CC (Cargo Capacity).

Wheels, brakes, transmission, drivetrain, suspension is all designed and built around the GVWR.

Thought gvwr is the total weight a vehicle plus what can be loaded in, or on it, tires, and some drive line components are excluded as their considered unsprung weight.

Sorry, Nope. Unsprung weight is part of the GVWR which includes the cargo.

Think of extremes. Assume you could make solid wheels of lead. Is it reasonable to believe the truck's GVWR wouldn't change? or when you roll onto a CAT scale, how is the Unsprung weight separated from the reading on the scale?

Referring to pg 394 of the Owner's Manual for the 2006 Gen2 this snippet. Specific attention to Note 2

Capture.PNG

Aftermarket wheels and non-stock size tires are considered accessories. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the GVWR in the Owner's Manual. That is probably on a placard on the Driver's door jamb

Not quite right. The GVWR is a maximum limit.

The weight from the heavier tires will reduce the cargo capacity.

Example: My '06 with me and a full tank tip the scales just shy of 4500 lbs. The cargo capacity of my truck is 1205 lbs (or 1/2 ton). So, the GVWR of my truck is around 5700 lbs. If I install heavier tires, say 200 lbs (heavier than stock), the empty truck with me and a full tank will be about 4700 lbs. Cargo capacity will be reduced by the 200 lbs, but the GVWR remains at 5700 lb.

I know the weight of my truck due to many trips over the landfill scales to dump construction debris. I also know 1300 lbs will compress the rear springs by 2 inches. Yes, I overloaded a bit.

Similar math when considering the tow rating. My truck has a rating of 6500 lbs for trailer laden with cargo. It the tongue weight is 10-15% of the trailer, then the tongue weight is 650 lbs. This load is considered "on the truck" and is counted against the Cargo Capacity. Using 1205 lb cargo capacity of my truck, the tongue weight leaves me with 555 lbs for people and gear (also cargo)

The irony on all these numbers is they allow the driver weight of 150 lbs. as included in the numbers. I s'pose if you want to be anal about the calcs, then you need to consider the difference between your actual weight and the pseudo driver weight. I figure the truck has some level of safety factor designed into it. So, if my numbers are +/- 100 lbs, then close enough.

There are a few numbers that are important to safe loading and towing within limits of the truck:
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) = Maximum weight of the truck and cargo with a full fuel tank and 150 lb driver.
TW (Tare Weight) = Weight of the truck with full fuel tank and 150 lb driver. No Cargo.
CC (Cargo Capacity) = Difference between GVWR and TW; GVWR-TW = CC

Anything added to the truck beyond the full fuel tank and 150 lb driver is considered as Cargo. For instance: remove stock bumper (assume 100 lbs) install aftermarket bumper/winch combo (assume 250 lbs), TW increases by 150 lbs, CC reduces by 150 lbs, GVWR remains static. A 300 lb driver hops in, then TW increase and CC decreases by 150 lbs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back