Towing question for 2022 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Alan Hartz, Jun 13, 2022.

?

Towing question for 2022 Tacoma

1. Thanks in advance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Thanks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alan Hartz

Alan Hartz New Member

So I recently purchased a 2022 dbl cab short bed 4 wh drive SR model not the SR5 &not the off-road pkg
    I have a small casita trailer ( 13’ approx1500-2000 lbs… depending on what we take camping)
    Is it best to tow with ECT activated all the time along with “S” mode all the time & at same time
    The manual is prett vague

I apologize if this has
    Been discussed all ready

Scott Wyman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. TacoTruck2019

TacoTruck2019 Well-Known Member

This is just my personal opinion so please take it as such. I'd say ECT and sport mode and only shift to 5th gear, not 6th, unless you're towing on completely flat roads. Chances are it won't stay in 6th gear very long anyways.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  4. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the manual says not to use D and when using S mode, don't shift higher than 5.

5. Don Drake

Don Drake Active Member

You can try 5th gear. But pay attention. If the tranny is hunting (shifting between 5th and 4th frequently) down shift to 4th. On flats with no head wind 5th will like be fine with that weight. When you hit a hill downshift to 4th.

tacojoel and Scott Wyman like this.
  6. tacojoel

tacojoel Well-Known Member

I've tried the S modes and ECT for towing my 2k lb boat and my loaded 1k plus utility trailer with my 2020 sr5 v6. Found ECT wasn't needed for just that, S5 worked fine. The transmission would downshift if it felt to. Imo, 6th gear is only for nothing in tow.