Towing with 3500lb weight limit

Ron Pena

I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma
Style: Base 2DR Pickup 4X2 A5/M5
Engine: 2.7L Gasoline I4

I've been looking at a campers for weekend camping trips and found several under 3000lbs. I see the towing capacity is 3500lbs. I'm trying to determine if towing a 2,820 or up to 3,000 camper trailer would be a safe weight to tow as long as I stay under the 3500 lbs limit. Any info appreciated.

I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma
Style: Base 2DR Pickup 4X2 A5/M5
Engine: 2.7L Gasoline I4

I've been looking at a campers for weekend camping trips and found several under 3000lbs. I see the towing capacity is 3500lbs. I'm trying to determine if towing a 2,820 or up to 3,000 camper trailer would be a safe weight to tow as long as I stay under the 3500 lbs limit. Any info appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. The truck will be ok to go up to the 3500lbs. It’s always better if you’re not pushing that on a regular basis. Keep in mind weight of gear in trailer as well. Go slow and take it easy. Get a brake assist. These trucks aren’t heavy and can get tossed around with heavy weight behind them.

Welcome to the forum. The truck will be ok to go up to the 3500lbs. It’s always better if you’re not pushing that on a regular basis. Keep in mind weight of gear in trailer as well. Go slow and take it easy. Get a brake assist. These trucks aren’t heavy and can get tossed around with heavy weight behind them.

Just like he said. Just don’t over do it. And take it easy. Don’t go above manufacturer specs often.

For what its worth, the same truck with a V6 has a tow capacity of about 6500. So the big differece is the engine. As others have said, don't over tax the engine, an you will be fine.

My first travel trailer grossed at 7500, I pulled it with first generation Tundra 4.6, which has a tow capacity of 7500. Rarely got over 55 mph, and struggled in strong headwinds and up very long mountain grades but we managed for four years until upgrading to a second generally. Tundra 5.7....tremendous difference.

You will need trailer brakes and may consider a weight distribution hitch and sway control. I like Equilizer hitches.

For what its worth, the same truck with a V6 has a tow capacity of about 6500. So the big differece is the engine. As others have said, don't over tax the engine, an you will be fine.

My first travel trailer grossed at 7500, I pulled it with first generation Tundra 4.6, which has a tow capacity of 7500. Rarely got over 55 mph, and struggled in strong headwinds and up very long mountain grades but we managed for four years until upgrading to a second generally. Tundra 5.7....tremendous difference.

You will need trailer brakes and may consider a weight distribution hitch and sway control. I like Equilizer hitches.

V6 standard towing capacity is 3500lbs

Towing package includes oil cooler, aux trans cooler for auto, larger battery, stronger alternator, hitch, and some other tidbits.

Tow package brings the v6 tacoma to 6500

I have a v6 tow package and pull about 5500lbs without issue. In fact I think it tows as well as my former GMC Sierra. The big difference for me is braking. Get a brake assist. You have a lot of momentum at highway speeds (or even around town) that wants to continue moving forward, when you want to stop.

My 05 TRD sport 4x4 v6 with towpackage pulled about 3300lbs(utv on 16ft trailer)on 7hours trip up hill from Florida to Georgia Mtn’s.i had to run with overdrive off and maintained 70mph.normally I get around 16mpg but I was shocked when I got 10mpg!!!!!!

Gas mileage really sux towing with 2003 4x4 Tacoma. I pulled a mule on 16 foot tandem axle trailer and it pulled ok. It strained the hell out of it but it made it. Mine was manual trans 4 cylinder Motor. Stopping with out trailer brakes was sketchy also

Is that 3500 unloaded?

Anything at the limit is going to suck. Also these trucks are not really good for work.
It will be a slug.
Gas mileage really sux towing with 2003 4x4 Tacoma. I pulled a mule on 16 foot tandem axle trailer and it pulled ok. It strained the hell out of it but it made it. Mine was manual trans 4 cylinder Motor. Stopping with out trailer brakes was sketchy also
Yes ^
If you are going to tow get the right mods to do it safely.

Back