Toyota Key fob Subscription?.

I saw a report about this type of thing. The car makers are saying that it costs less to build a vehicle with EVERY conceivable option installed and then just charge a monthly fee to use them. If you only wanted heated seats during the winter, only subscribe for the cold months. Same with remote start.

But where would this all end? Will I have to get a subscription that gives me three door unlockings a day? Or a dozen uses of the turn signal a day with no roll-over of the unused turn signal uses? The US government is toying with the idea of a per mile tax. If that happens, what about the 9/10 of a cent tax on gasoline. Will that go away? I can see a lot of odometers getting disconnected temporarily. Or some sort of hack for the computers to slow down the odometer.

Maybe I should consider getting an early 2000's Toyota pickup. Hmmm.

Ya can't go wrong with a classic. The only feature I really like in newer vehicles is the back up camera. Don't need no hands-off adaptive cruise or lane departure warning. I keep my hands in the wheel and was taught to staying my lane and look in my mirrors.

I had a question about this right after I got my 2022. My key fob wouldn't work to remote start the vehicle until I signed up with the app. There's no way I'm paying for Toyota Remote Connect, even if I do lose the ability to remote start. Honestly, since the vehicle turns off when I unlock the doors it's less useful that in other cars anyways.
Since purchasing my truck in early October I have only used the remote start feature once. It was a a week or so ago and there was frost on the windshield, I was running late for work and didn't have time to scrape the frost off. If given the choice of paying to use remote start or getting up 10 minutes earlier, I'll get up earlier.

Once upon a time, when you bought something the whole thing was yours. You bought it, you owned it.

now imho, I buy a computer, they seem to have access to it. Automatic updates and most of us have no idea what information is downloaded and what is uploaded. I buy a cel phone, same thing except it not only forces updates but listens and next thing I know, there’s an ad.

I look at a product out of curiosity and suddenly my mailbox is full of “Did you see something you liked.” Or several 20% offers “if I order in the next 20 minutes” and it’s addressed to me by name.

radio by subscription? Too much repetition, the comedy channel wasn’t funny, the channels I wanted were part of the Premium package”. When I canceled it I was barraged with “please take this 20 minute survey….” As if I owed them an explanation.

Now I need a subscription to do the most basic part of vehicle ownership? Securing my own property and its contents? Good luck selling that. In the meantime they can kiss my physical or mechanical exhaust….

Last edited:
Might I suggest that an ancillary benefit to the use of spotwalla is the ability of someone who cares about you can monitor your progress, and have a good place to start the search for your remains

Back