Transmission fluid additive? and Rear brakes: time to replace?

GregM

Recently switched to Liqui Moly engine products (flush, Ceratec, Jectorn) for my 2014 Tacoma, but have not yet used the Liqui Moly ATF Additive with its automatic transmission -- mileage at 77,449. I'm concerned this additive may not be compatable with Tacoma transmission fluid. Question: Will the Liqui Moly ATF Additive be okay to add to my truck's transmission or will it cause damage?

Imo, there's a sucker born everyday that buys into that stuff. I do not believe in additives, your motor oil already is blended with an additive package to work well. Any aftermarket additive can undo what the manufacture's motor oil was intended to do. Slick50 was a prime example. Same for automatic transmissions. Its best to do drain, and refills every 30k miles for best performance, and use only the toyota atf type that your truck calls for. I've seen too many auto transmission's have issues afterwards when using an aftermarket atf that claims its compatible, but doesn't mix well with the manufactures atf thats already still in there.
As far as rear brake shoes, it's good to inspect them every once in awhile when you rotate the tires pulling a drum...just don't forget to readjust them back afterwards. Normal use with some towing they will last over 100k miles easy.

Last edited:
Imo, there's a sucker born everyday that buys into that stuff. I do not believe in additives, your motor oil already is blended with an additive package to work well. Any aftermarket additive can undo what the manufacture's motor oil was intended to do. Slick50 was a prime example. Same for automatic transmissions. Its best to do drain, and refills every 30k miles for best performance, and use only the toyota atf type that your truck calls for. I've seen too many auto transmission's have issues afterwards when using an aftermarket atf that claims its compatible, but doesn't mix well with the manufactures atf thats already still in there.
As far as rear brake shoes, it's good to inspect them every once in awhile when you rotate the tires pulling a drum...just don't forget to readjust them back afterwards. Normal use with some towing they will last over 100k miles easy.
Greetings Joel,

Thank you for responding to both my questions, transmission and brakes.

So you know, and because I'm working on my Jeep as well as my Tacoma, I asked the folks at JeepForum about using the transmission additive with my 2005 Wrangler TJ/LJ. At least two of the Jeeping folks who responded agreed with your general position that transmission additives are not needed.

But then again, I personally take additives and likely would not be doing well had I chosen otherwise. Could be there are differences between mechanical and human systems. I'm guesing the AMA thinks so.

As for the transmission itself, and as you likely know, the 2014 Tacoma has no dipstick and apparently no drain plug in the pan--just a plate to unbolt to remove. One Toyota technician told me Toyota calls for never changing the transmission oil. Seems blasphemous and against cosmic laws. Wish I'd bought a used 2006 Tundra instead of this rig. Might you have a line on one?

Then there is my question about brakes. I pulled the left-rear wheel off about 500 miles ago. The leading shoe showed 3mm. A kind Les Schwab technician told me 3mm, given how little and the way I drive, would last for some time, and I did not need to change shoes or replace drums and wheel cylinders right away. But I do have a 3,000-mile trip coming up in November, however. Hmmmm?

Again, thank you for taking time to help me with my 2014 Tacoma.

Greg

All newer transmissions in these tacoma's are sealed units, aka no dipstick. Unless you've been experiencing transmission issues, and have well less than 100k miles, doing a complete flush can serve you better. Otherwise it's those periodic 4 qt. drain and refills every 30-40k miles while following the manufacture's method for checking the right atf level, which isn't hard. There's enough videos on this on YouTube...some are just better than others.
Getting back to the rear brakes....if you actually have have 3 mm left on those shoes, and have a 3k mile trip..imo, I'd replace the shoes, and have those drums checked if needing to be turned. You must be very hard on them, or leave the parking brake on all the time. I've seem loads of these tacoma's, and older tundras with drum brakes go over 150k miles before needing replacement, thats why I question the material left on yours.

I agree with Tacojoel. Don't screw around with additives. Additives are typically made as bandaids to a bigger issues or as wallet drains.

My '06 had the AT fluid/filter change at 105 kmiles. Did another fluid change (roughly 3 qt) at 138 kmiles. Check on the passenger side rear of the trans, the drain plug may be there. My '06 has 2 plugs in the pan, 1 is the drain, 1 is for the level check.

Check your Owners Manual for wear limits on the rear shoes for your '14. If you are shoe above the wear limit, then you can wait. Generally, the rear shoes have less wear than the front pads. Meaning the fronts will need replacing before the rear. This is assuming you don't have something making the rear shoes drag. I'd suggest pulling the rear drums and measure the thickness, then compare to the wear limit. 78 kmiles really isnt a big number. I've checked the rear brake pads on my '06, they are still within wear limits, so no need to change them.

Yeah, even the newer year tacoma autos have the same 3 plugs....drain plug, fill plug, and check level plug. Youtube videos will show them.

bless the checkStick in the engine compartment to check the level on the stout 4cylinder 2TRFE
bless it

Newer automatic transmissions are now built to tighter tolerances, and designed to run far more efficient so there's no need for a dipstick to check fluid levels, or condition anymore. You have far longer service life with improved atf's also.

Last edited:
Back