Transmission Shuddering

In my 19 sr5 v6 it's not transmission shudder it does this on regular 87 octane gas. It's like in that range the torque load to down shift is not there but the knock sensors are wanting to cut timing to eliminate preignition, basically all the sensors are fighting with each other. Yes, they will run on 87 octane gas but driveability they run much better on either 89 or 93 octane.

My 2021 4x2 sport shudders in the 10-30mph range. Toyota dealer says they all do it so they just ignore me. Anybody else have this problem?
Is the truck actually running at too low an rpm when this happens?....say below 1200 rpm., if so thats normal for these auto transmissions. As far as fuel octanes go my truck runs worse on anything higher than 87.

Wow I lucked out with a Wednesday '16 sport 4x4 truck. Knock wood I run 87 and once a month throw in a tank of super no shutters an no knocks .I use S- Mode always and ECT button is on .I drive it like I stole it .pulling on the highway shift it manually at 4500 and go!!!
The sport mode and ECT probably takes care of 90% of the issues as you're not lugging the engine. Ya know, gotta short shift and keep rpms below 1500 for that almighty mpg.

Yah but it's really fun to drive and I never use 6th gear I've check running on the highway for like 10 miles in 5th then shift to 6th for 10 miles and the gas mileage is about .2 tenths of gallon different .but it does not lug in 5th like it does in 6th. And in drive its always kicking down on the slightest hill so I don't bother .They should have just put a 5speed in them instead? I get 18-19 around town and 23-24 on the highway totally works for me I was used to 14-15 in my '03 tundra V8.

Last edited:
Wow I lucked out with a Wednesday '16 sport 4x4 truck. Knock wood I run 87 and once a month throw in a tank of super no shutters an no knocks .I use S- Mode always and ECT button is on .I drive it like I stole it .pulling on the highway shift it manually at 4500 and go!!!
Never ran in those modes unless towing my boat. Normally i leave it in drive, and it runs fine. Highest rpm i ever see might reach close to 3k when towing. Enough power with 87 even when in 6th gear running 50-60 mph at 1400-1600 rpm. Premium fuel sucks.

My 2021 4x2 sport shudders in the 10-30mph range. Toyota dealer says they all do it so they just ignore me. Anybody else have this problem?
What you feel I think is a torque converter shudder. Ask Toyota for the latest transmission update and a fluid change. Normally, this occurs when owners change the fluid and put in non Toyota fluid or the fluid is low. Warranty should apply. I've seen new transmissions with low fluid. Only the Toyota garage can properly check the level. It's complicated

Tried ECT towing my boat, and utility trailer, really didn't need it, just more engine noise, and worse fuel economy. S5 was fine. ECT is more for really heavier towing like over 3k lbs. Otherwise I leave it in the D mode always.

Back