Travel trailers!!!

That was easy.

Next question.
Manufacturer towing capacities get kind of interesting when you start digging into it. US limits vary quite a bit from UK limits for the same vehicle. I often exceeded the towing capacity of my RAV4 by as much as 25% of US towing but it was usually with in published limits of UK. Since I upgraded to a Taco no longer an issue.

This one has a 5000lb dry weight. Wet weight is 6600. If i fully loaded it, id exceed the manuf. rating by about 100 lbs, but I never travel with full tanks, so I figure I'm safe. I use the Curt wireless bluetooth brake controller.
Camper.jpg

This one has a 5000lb dry weight. Wet weight is 6600. If i fully loaded it, id exceed the manuf. rating by about 100 lbs, but I never travel with full tanks, so I figure I'm safe. I use the Curt wireless bluetooth brake controller.
View attachment 26309

What's your GCWR? Just looking up what the truck can tow is not the correct way to determain if it's a safe tow. The Tacoma runs out of payload before it reaches the max tow number printed it the owners manual. For example I pull a TT that weights only 4,000 lbs dry and loaded between 5,000 and 5,500lbs. With me, my wife, small pup and a 100lbs generator I am very close to my GCWR. You have to do the math.

What's your GCWR? Just looking up what the truck can tow is not the correct way to determain if it's a safe tow. The Tacoma runs out of payload before it reaches the max tow number printed it the owners manual. For example I pull a TT that weights only 4,000 lbs dry and loaded between 5,000 and 5,500lbs. With me, my wife, small pup and a 100lbs generator I am very close to my GCWR. You have to do the math.

Mine has factory hitch package, which includes engine oil cooler and manual transmission. GCWR is 6500. So yes, i am close to my limit, if I fully load the trailer. Other then my wife and myself, the truck is empty. Actual towing experience is as you expect. Slow go up big hills, but other then that its very stable. Even get better gas mileage now then i did when towing this trailer with a Ford F-250.

Mine has factory hitch package, which includes engine oil cooler and manual transmission. GCWR is 6500. So yes, i am close to my limit, if I fully load the trailer. Other then my wife and myself, the truck is empty. Actual towing experience is as you expect. Slow go up big hills, but other then that its very stable. Even get better gas mileage now then i did when towing this trailer with a Ford F-250.

I have the same truck with the same max tow rating. GCWR is different than the max tow that the truck can pull. The problem is that you run out of payload that the truck can carry. You have to add the weight of all the cargo, you and your wife, the weight of your WD hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer. My Coachman 204RD has a dry weight of 4,000lbs and when I add up just me and my wife (300lbs), small pup 11lbs, generator 100lbs, WD hitch 40lbs I'm only 40lbs below my GCWR and the max that my TT weight is around 5,500lbs. Even though my manual says I can tow 6,500lbs I would run out of payload way before I could get to the 6,500lbs. You have to do the math. For reference I own a 2018 TDR Sport with a manual trans.

I'm glad I viewed this page. I'm thinking about getting a 21 foot boat and it weighs over 5000. I'm going from Florida to Kentucky to pick it up. That will be the longest road trip for it. The rest of the time I'll be traveling 2 hours or less here in Florida. I dont have brake assist but I'll be sure to drive responsibly as I drive rigs for a living. I feel alot better about taking on the road trip now. Thanks everyone for your insightful input.

Back