Truck Camper

Talan55

Greetings, new to the forum.

I have an 07 Tacoma Pre-runner extended cab, V6 with the 6 ft bed.
Just over 115K miles.
I've been camping for years using an ARE truck cap. Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking about investing in a slide in truck camper with a few more creature comforts to take longer trips.
1st any recommendations of camper brands/models?
2nd will I need to upgrade the suspension, brakes, and/or add additional cooling to the engine/transmission?
3rd any other suggestions of things I should consider regarding this idea?
Looking forward to hearing what suggestions the forum has to offer.

Yes. Sell the Tacoma. Buy a full size 3/4 ton with a long bed.

It will be hard to find a slide-in with a GVWR of less than 1000 lbs. Remember, the Tacoma is a 1/2 ton truck. Some models are less than that.

Or

You could look to a folding camper to tow. Tacomas can pull more than they can carry. Here again, watch the maximum loaded numbers. Empty weights are meaningless, because no one goes camping with an empty camper.......

There are options for towables.

Yes. Sell the Tacoma. Buy a full size 3/4 ton with a long bed.

It will be hard to find a slide-in with a GVWR of less than 1000 lbs. Remember, the Tacoma is a 1/2 ton truck. Some models are less than that.

Or

You could look to a folding camper to tow. Tacomas can pull more than they can carry. Here again, watch the maximum loaded numbers. Empty weights are meaningless, because no one goes camping with an empty camper.......

There are options for towables.
Good advice if one has unlimited funds.
From what I've been able to research, modifications to the suspension in combo with the right camper makes for a workable arrangement with the Taco.

A towable folding camper will allow you to leave the camper at the campsite and still be able to use the truck. Otherwise, you are breaking camp each time you need to drive.

The $$ for upgrades could be channeled to a very nice folding camper.

More space, more amenities, easier on the truck, less impact on fuel.....and you still have the use of the truck as a truck.

Remember, modifications to the suspension DO NOT increase load capacity of the truck.

@Talan55

My curiosity got the better of me.......I went digging for slide-in truck campers. The lightest one I found had an EMPTY weight of 1200 lbs and needed 40" between the wheel fenders.

Then I looked at folding campers (towable). Yes, they are a bit heavier beginning around 1600 lbs for EMPTY weight. Cost is a bit lower with much more camper. Many had a Cargo Capacity of 600 lbs.

I think your truck has a max load on the truck of 1000 lbs, with a tow capacity near 6500 lbs.

Anyhow, just offering a suggestion to possibly lead to a more enjoyable experience camping and towing.

Be mindful of weights (GVWR = CCC + UVW) and the Center of Gravity location of the slide-in and on the truck.

Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Back