What are the u bolt torque specs ?

stuckbug

Howdy, I am trying to install some sumo springs on my 22 TRD offroad Tacoma.
I wanted to know what the torque specs were for the u bolts.
Been trying to look online some says its 52 ft-lb Others say its 73 ft-lb or 40.
Not sure what it is.

Also can you lift a Tacoma from the back where you install the tow hook ?

Also i have to Lift the truck to remove the u bolts.

Funny you should ask that. Asked a toyota tech the same thing years ago after finding the rear axle u-bolts holding the leaf spring's loose on my 2020 tacoma. The tech said their manual read 37 ft lbs......he questioned it to his service manager which claimed that had to be a misprint which it turned out to be. The new specs. were 52 ft lbs which he still questioned. Not wanting any returns, or future failures, he figured the original 37 ft lbs. misprint had it backwards, mean't to be 73 ft lbs, which made more sense. I've even read as much as 90 ft lbs. in one manual. I've found enough of those later year gen3 leaf spring u-bolts to be under torqued from the factory, so its good your addressing this.
I think these tacoma u-bolts are at least 14mm, and grade 5, so I would think they should be a bit more than 52 ft lbs. now called for.
As far as lifting the truck...anywhere on the frame is ok, provided its got adequate support.

Last edited:
Back