what is your best Towing MPG

Towing Dream

Hi, everyone. I want to buy a tacoma for towing my trailer. And want to research what would be towing mpg.
My trailer spec.
Dry weight: 3300 lbs
20‘ length
gears and full water tank inside the trailer about: 1000 pounds.
I would drive like 55-60 mph to obtain best mpg.

Can you please share out your best mpg when towing, please provide your trailer dry and wet weight. and driving speed.

I only tow two snowmobiles about 2,000 lbs and I do notice a drop in mpg. The clam shell trailer pushes a lot of air.
2017 Off Road dbl cab long bed.

Frontal area, and aerodynamics, affect mpg when towing, more than the actual weight does. My empty enclosed trailer weighs just 3100 lbs, and drops my fuel mileage more than 4800 boat and trailer, or my equipment trailer with a skid steer on it weighing 11000 lbs I towed recently.
You are thinking about that right now I bet, and saying how can towing 11,000 burn less fuel than towing 3,100...
Because one doesn't push as much air out of the way as the other does.
In a panic stop they actually stop about identically. The equipment trailer brakes very well, the empty enclosed trailer brakes terribly, no matter where I set the brakes controller. Weight isn't the biggest factor when towing is my point.
Want to really suck back fuel, my Airstream travel trailer combines the aerodynamics of a brick wall, with a lot of weight, and really eats gas. But it actually stops better than my enclosed trailer does.
Towing my Jetski is the best thing to pull...barely makes a dent in fuel economy, and despite no trailer brakes, stops great. Not sure what it weighs, but I'll guess around 1100 to 1200 lbs.

Hi, everyone. I want to buy a tacoma for towing my trailer. And want to research what would be towing mpg.
My trailer spec.
Dry weight: 3300 lbs
20‘ length
gears and full water tank inside the trailer about: 1000 pounds.
I would drive like 55-60 mph to obtain best mpg.

Can you please share out your best mpg when towing, please provide your trailer dry and wet weight. and driving speed.

Thanks for the towing info. I just bought my 5th Tacoma but my first 4 wheel drive and want to tow a small camper up my gravel driveway. I am hoping my 4L will do the trick, trailer should only be about 3800 lbs.
Any advice, I still have the new street tires on as well.

I can live with that, my next problem is my gravel driveway and a need for a nice concrete turnaround parking pad at the top!
These TN hills are hell on towing.

Back