When putting a soft Tonneau cover back on is this okay and normal?

Weegie

My '22 came with a soft foldable Tonneau cover and it wasn't until today that I decided to take it off to see how I liked it without it, turns out I like it a lot and will keep it off when hauling firewood rounds so it isn't in the way when folded down. When I went to put it back on, I thought it would just line up if the threded bolts were in the frames and tightened down, but as I was closing it I saw it was over too far on the driver's side, so I loosened it back up, shifted it to the right, closed it before I torqued it down tight and it was a lot better, it might be about 1/4" over on the driver's side more than the passenger side but it seals up fine. I am assuming that this is okay, and trying to get it to be equal on both sides would probably take many tries and drive me more nuts than I already am, so is this "close enough" good enough and are there any tips to get it lined up properly? I know there is play in those threaded bolts which causes it to move more easily.

Thank you!

Is this an actual tacoma cover, or some aftermarket? My 2020 factory trifold tonneau cover uses one bolt on the passenger front side of the cover to secure it in place....it's a heavy cover. You really can't screw it up when taking it off, and putting it back on.

It came with the truck from the factory. There is a bolt on the driver side and one on the passenger side that fit into a metal piece with a hole in it attached to the side of the bed. The bolts aren't rigid, they can be slid back and forth in the track they are in so there is some play in it.

Back