Which Tacoma to buy

Wildbrier

Hello. Joined the forum to get advice. Shopping for older Toyota 4x4 primarily to share highway miles with two old cars and haul items on occasion. Options thus far…. 2012/ manual with 110 miles for 15k or 2000/ manual with 130,000 miles for 9k. Private Sellers. Would have mechanic to look over for rusty frame. Any thing else? Thanks for your time.

From what's been harped on here, that gen1 2000 model with 130k miles for $9k would be a bargain...you'd steal it. Depending on the engine for the 00 model, it should have had the timing belt replaced, thats not cheap maintenance imo. Myself, I have a gen3, and never had a tacoma before. I would recommend a 2019 and up to anyone. Frames are the biggest issue on these trucks no matter what year. Once they get over 90k miles, expect to start spending some money to keep them running well.

i love my '16 trd sport dbl cab longbed its user friendly and it has some nannys but not as mant as my friends 2020! They changed the screen that tells u ur mileage as u drive and the timer and traveled distance screen which i always am looking at.

i love my '16 trd sport dbl cab longbed its user friendly and it has some nannys but not as mant as my friends 2020! They changed the screen that tells u ur mileage as u drive and the timer and traveled distance screen which i always am looking at.
I never had a tacoma till 2020 when I did an order on an sr5 with a bunch of stuff I wanted in it, plus demanded it be built in Texas. Except for all the nanny bs to get use to, its been the best toyota owned since 78. I don't even pay a fraction of attention to all that electronic bs offered in this truck, but it sure drives nice with v8 like power with way better fuel economy, vs the hungry tundra previously owned.

If you are considering a Gen2, then you need to confirm it has been through the frame recall. Simple, you don't have to crawl under, just get the VIN and have the local Toyota dealer run their system for any maintenance and recall work.

Back