Windshield dark at night

BlueGekko

Drove my ‘21 Tacoma at night for the first time last week and noticed that on low beams, the top half of the windshield appeared to be so dark I couldn’t see trees, phone poles, etc, as if that part of the windshield was darkly tinted. I could see only a couple hundred feet in front of me through the lower half. Had to drive with high beams on to see far enough ahead to anticipate curves, stop signs and intersections in the road. Low beams on my Subaru allow me to see through the entire windshield and farther down ahead. Are the low beams on the Tacoma supposed to be so dim and set so low or should I take it in to the dealer to be re-aimed?

Bob, have you talked to a Toyota dealer about realigning the low beams? I wonder if the problem is with the redesigned, clear headlight cover rather than the angle of the bulbs. I mentioned the problem to a ‘93 Tacoma owner but he hadn’t noticed a problem. His headlight covers do not have the angles the new ones have.

Bob, have you talked to a Toyota dealer about realigning the low beams? I wonder if the problem is with the redesigned, clear headlight cover rather than the angle of the bulbs. I mentioned the problem to a ‘93 Tacoma owner but he hadn’t noticed a problem. His headlight covers do not have the angles the new ones have.
No, haven't really persuade the issue, I just figured that was the way it was supposed to be. The taco headlights are mounted higher than a car and with the halogen headlights i figured they were purposely aimed like that as not to blind oncoming traffic. I very well could be wrong but that's just my theory.i know my wife's Pacifica:s headlights are much lower and bright as hell when we cross paths on the road.

Drove my ‘21 Tacoma at night for the first time last week and noticed that on low beams, the top half of the windshield appeared to be so dark I couldn’t see trees, phone poles, etc, as if that part of the windshield was darkly tinted. I could see only a couple hundred feet in front of me through the lower half. Had to drive with high beams on to see far enough ahead to anticipate curves, stop signs and intersections in the road. Low beams on my Subaru allow me to see through the entire windshield and farther down ahead. Are the low beams on the Tacoma supposed to be so dim and set so low or should I take it in to the dealer to be re-aimed?
Yes, I have the same issue. I have a 2020 Tacoma and the first time I drove it at night I was shocked at how it just felt like I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me. I had the same sensation that you had. It was like the windshield upper half was tinted black, very nerve wracking. I could not see road signs unless I was right on top of them and forget about street signs. What makes me angry is that I ordered the truck with LED headlights but when it came in the dealer told me that I didn't order it that way. I should have not followed through with the sale but I really didn't want to wait another two months for another truck to come in. I don't drive my truck now at night now unless I really have to. Like you said, driving my Mazda CX-5 with low beams on I have no issue with seeing down the road not do I have the feeling that the top of windshield is blacked out. I'm going to complain to the dealership and see if the headlights are aimed right but I'm sure they are, very disappointing!!

I got a 2021, never really noticed it, but I also went from a truck to a truck so wasn't much difference to me. I actually thought it was an improvement since everything was new and not clouded up as they get w/ age! I think it won't pass inspection by switching out to LED, think you have to replace unit! Something about LED in holegen unit rist blinding other drivers!

Back