Windshield dark at night

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by BlueGekko, Aug 28, 2021.

1. BlueGekko

BlueGekko New Member

Drove my ‘21 Tacoma at night for the first time last week and noticed that on low beams, the top half of the windshield appeared to be so dark I couldn’t see trees, phone poles, etc, as if that part of the windshield was darkly tinted. I could see only a couple hundred feet in front of me through the lower half. Had to drive with high beams on to see far enough ahead to anticipate curves, stop signs and intersections in the road. Low beams on my Subaru allow me to see through the entire windshield and farther down ahead. Are the low beams on the Tacoma supposed to be so dim and set so low or should I take it in to the dealer to be re-aimed?

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 24-7

24-7 Well-Known Member

Well, after 96k miles of driving my 3rd gen I have never noticed this. Then again I have LED bulbs and lightbars.

4. TacomaLance

TacomaLance Well-Known Member

Same here with the LED bulbs but no lightbars. Never have experienced or noticed this situation. Maybe it's your headlight bulbs (?)

5. OP
    BlueGekko

BlueGekko New Member

Yes, could be the bulbs but I thought I’d see if anyone else was having a similar problem before driving the hour and a half to the dealer to trouble shoot it just to find that it’s normal.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  6. TacoTruck2019

TacoTruck2019 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this on my 19 also, finally figured out it's the way the headlight are aligned or focused. At night I drive with my headlights and fog lights on, pretty much takes care of it. At least not as noticable.

7. OP
    BlueGekko

BlueGekko New Member

Bob, have you talked to a Toyota dealer about realigning the low beams? I wonder if the problem is with the redesigned, clear headlight cover rather than the angle of the bulbs. I mentioned the problem to a ‘93 Tacoma owner but he hadn’t noticed a problem. His headlight covers do not have the angles the new ones have.

B-Man and Scott Wyman like this.
  8. TacoTruck2019

TacoTruck2019 Well-Known Member

No, haven't really persuade the issue, I just figured that was the way it was supposed to be. The taco headlights are mounted higher than a car and with the halogen headlights i figured they were purposely aimed like that as not to blind oncoming traffic. I very well could be wrong but that's just my theory.i know my wife's Pacifica:s headlights are much lower and bright as hell when we cross paths on the road.

B-Man and Scott Wyman like this.
  9. rickc5

rickc5 Member

I've never noticed this on our 2021 TRD PRO, but our truck has the LED headlights. I also run the fog lights at night.

TacoTruck2019 and B-Man like this.