‘09 Taco. How bad is this rust on frame?

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Robbie H, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

Found an 09 within driving distance. Had dealer send me pics of frame. Said it passed toyota inspection but has some surface rust. Enclosed a few pics that look questionable to me. Should i avoid considering purchasing this or is this minor?

Attached Files:

tooter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. tooter

tooter Well-Known Member

hi Robbie, where has the truck lived? how much are they asking for it? what model? hard to say in pics what might be weak under the coating, ya?

so, how do you know it passed inspection? does dealer send proof?

4. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

put some light on photos next time. Hard to tell if surface rust but my guess from your pics is it is just surface rust. I would ask the dealer if he is willing to let you scrape off an area of undercoating to get a better idea. Also ask what kind of undercoating to make sure it is a rust inhibitor.

5. OP
    Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

He said hed show me inspection sheet if i came to look at truck. I explained i lived a couple hours away, etc so he sent some pics. Definitely questionable i think. In the top pic theres a hole in the groove in the middle there. Ill probably pass. Truck originally from canada. Just tired of waiting for the right truck to show up somewhere. Trying to find an access cab 4x4 automatic.

6. OP
    Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

dealer sent me those. Im a couple hours away. Tryn to decide if its worth the trip. In the top pic theres a hole there in the middle

7. TacoKen

ok, then if you don't want to go look at it, find another one closer to you. A nice Toyota is not going to be cheap as you probably are finding out.

8. OP
    Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

price isnt an issue really. Just wanting a 2nd gen access cab 4x4 with a decent frame. Things r almost non existent

tooter likes this.
  9. TacoKen

Plenty of them here in California. No rust issues either.

tooter likes this.