08 Lifted Tacoma chip/fuel issues NEW to site

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by stormy, Jul 27, 2013.

1. stormy

stormy New Member

I bought a sweet 08 tacoma, 6" lift with 35's from the Dealership in 09. Its my second one. Love the truck but need help. I live in Cali now and i am getting my butt kicked by the Cost and quality of the gas the quality. The tacoma has a small fuel tank and i get about 240 miles per tank. Can anyone recommend a performance chip or fuel tank upgrade. G-force performance chip advertised on this site does anyone have a review? Thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

There are no chips that work for modern vehicles. Every cheap ebay chip is just a gimmick because if such a simple device worked it would have been installed from the factory.

As far as MPGs go, nothing you add will increase mileage by anything that you will notice. Changing you driving habits or dropping the 35s will help. Sorry to just plop that turd down but that's how it is.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  4. OP
    stormy

stormy New Member

Whippersnapper, yeah that is why i figured but i guess i just needed to hear it. thanks for the info!!

5. OffroadTaco4x4

OffroadTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

Has the truck been regeared? That might not help the mpg that much but it defiantly couldn't hurt.

6. OP
    stormy

stormy New Member

Truck has not been regeared? Looking into it though.

7. whippersnapper02

I always forget regearing. It isn't cheap though and if you are 4wd then you have to do it times 2.

8. TacoJoe11

TacoJoe11 Well-Known Member

Like whipper said, there's not much you can do when you're running 35's (assuming rather aggressive tread). Is this your daily driver?

9. TacoWilly

TacoWilly Well-Known Member

When I got my Super Charger installed part of the kit was larger fuel injectors. So makes me wonder if there are smaller sized injectors.
    Just a thought

10. whippersnapper02

Smaller injectors wouldn't do anything since the fuel requirements of the engine don't change. You would then have to ramp up the duty cycle of the smaller injectors which would end their life quickly.

Bottom line is a big brick with 35s isn't going to get good mileage.

11. HellaNella420

HellaNella420 Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking any ideas of lifting out of my head w/ this thread. No way i want to lose that much MPG.

12. whippersnapper02

It isn't the lift that does it. Turning larger tires will kill MPGs. I lifted but I stuck with 265s and I still get decent mileage.

13. HellaNella420

HellaNella420 Well-Known Member

Figured lifting must ruin the aerodynamics even more. A truck is already like driving a barn door in a hurricane.

14. whippersnapper02

I saw a bigger change going to 265s from stock than I did lifting. I still get my 16 on the street and 20-21 highway.

15. BayouTacoma

BayouTacoma Member

I have a 4D 2008 6cyl. TRD PreRunner Sports PKG; however, it's 2WD and gets about 23hwy and 18city. I have seen 27mpgs before; only once though and right after I put a container of SEAFOAM engine treatment in after filling up. I try and only use ethanol free gas and treat it every 2 months or so ~3000 miles. As you've read the tires will kill your mpgs; however, try staying under 2000 - 2500rpms that should get you something and I've noticed about a 1-2 mpg increase using ethanol free gas, in the city anyway.

16. Thewarriordinghy

Thewarriordinghy Well-Known Member

For the ethanol free gas, arethere any major gas stations that carry them? Im in metro atlanta and i can never find one.

17. whippersnapper02

18. Thewarriordinghy

Thewarriordinghy Well-Known Member

19. 808travo

808travo 808travo

Just purchased the gforce performance chip for my 2013 taco anyone try one?

20. whippersnapper02

Chips do nothing. They are gimmicks.