2.7 oil change on 2nd gen

DesertTan16

I have a 2006 with a 2.7 I noticed the oil change I do by the book has always been well above the full mark I know this can't be good but nobody seems to complain about it. I use a k&n oil filter I went from the shorter filter to a taller filter and went with 6 quarts of oil the taller filter I am using is a cross reference to the stock same threads and all just taller. I was wondering if this was safe to do?

People have used larger filters before without issue but some would argue that the bypass valve spring tension is different or the larger filter will cause a pressure drop. I used to use a massive K&N filter on my V6 without issue.

I have a 2006 with a 2.7 I noticed the oil change I do by the book has always been well above the full mark I know this can't be good but nobody seems to complain about it. I use a k&n oil filter I went from the shorter filter to a taller filter and went with 6 quarts of oil the taller filter I am using is a cross reference to the stock same threads and all just taller. I was wondering if this was safe to do?

It's better to be between the full and low marks. Being above it just a tiny bit is ok but too much oil can cause issues.

I'm about to start using toyotas filters I heard that k&n went to Mexico and even tho the company is in California it still says made in Mexico. Being that I respect the Japanese technology I will start using stock Toyota genuine parts I was a go hard fan of k&n but seems as if they're over hyped and many people ont his sight has told me this. I read up on the Toyota filter and even seen one get abused even used without changing after a year and I like what I see. So I may end up doing that. I don't have oil consumption that's a big deal when you leave American vehicles you'll find that oil consumption is more on American cars than these imported. I had seen many fords and chevys consume oil and when ram was dodge they had the oil sludge issues in their magnum engines. These toyotas are very durable and I am impressed and happy to service and forget about it till six months later. What I may end up doing is, going five quarts and just filling to full, and check about a week later and when I drain my oil when it's got to get most of it out I will put it in a oil can and mark it on there. To get the same amount all the time and see if the level changes.

Back