2003 tacoma cv joint boot repair

Anyone replace these boots on a 2003 tacoma? on youtube shows a 2002 and the tulip bearing is held on by a snap ring but on my 2003 the snap ring is on the opposite site which is weird. how would it hold the bearing on the shaft from the other side?

I think in 2003 they changed a few things but I don't think any of it was mechanical. More of a face lift.

what a cluster F@#$. went to oreilly's to get new boots and they ones they sold me are universal boots which don't fit, took them back, called dealership and had to order and wont be here until thursday. $40 a piece. Truck on jack stands in the shop and stuck at home. until thursday. have to borrow wifes car take her to work, go get parts, pick her up from work, fix truck. what should have been a couple hours work is going to be about a week. Really... Is this job so rare that there are no videos, information of any sort on the internet. Before today I thought you could find almost anything on youtube. For a 2003 tacoma not the case. All the result of putting a 2.5" toytec suspension lift on truck which increased the angle of the front cv joints which tore the boots.

Haha, yeah I know all about it... if you're replacing cv's cause of the lift and you don't plan on doin a diff drop get high angle boots cause you'll tear oem style again, and sooner than later. You might wanna consider doing uca's too, after doing mine I noticed a difference in the angle the boot was being placed in and isn't as stressed anymore. And the pain of not having your rig, well... mine was down the entire month of July. Talk about a pissed off wife! I feel you're pain brotha!

And, yeah 99% of the time most guys just replace the complete cv, usually after the boots have torn **** makes it's way inside ruining the axle. That's why there's no youtube video on rebuilding them.

I did the differential drop but angle still too much. I priced the complete axle replacement at oreillys and it's like 50 bucks an axle. I'm paying 40 bucks just for the boot from the dealership so i can keep my original axles. Had too many bad experiences with cheap parts.

I was also wondering about the angle of the stock UCAs and the upper ball joint being in a bind. I'm sure the custom UCAs would fix that?

If you have some homeless $ yer itchin to spend, lotus heavy duty cv's are around $499 ea. They're the **** though. Incredibly nice quality all around. Or you could do rcv performance. It's more of an off-road pervert kit! (Badass) not cheap though. I'll let you find out how much they run... high angle cv boots can be found at most online distributors. Supposedly Porsche 911 cv's will also do the trick. But anything Porsche ain't cheap... my 2 c.

Back