2006 2.7L Tacoma faulty starting

Stephen Crosby

New member, first time having any real trouble with my truck. I'm a handy person with a multimeter and wrenches but not an avid mechanic. Recently my 2006 2.7 L Tacoma 2wd with 300,000 miles started giving me trouble. I start the truck and it starts and idles. I can throw it into neutral and walk away from it for at least 5 to 10 minutes. If I drive it down the street it doesn't stall ( less than 1 mile ) and then i drive back to the driveway pull in and it stalls. It then won't start again unless I give it gas. It will start if I do this, but it will only stay running as long as i'm giving it gas. Once it has sat for a few hours it will start again.

What I've done so far is routine maintenance - changed oil/filter, changed air filter, cleaned then changed MAF, replaced PCV valve. Also replaced the battery (was 8 years old or so anyway). I think this model doesn't have an easy valve for checking fuel pressure so I haven't gotten to that yet.

Any ideas?

New member, first time having any real trouble with my truck. I'm a handy person with a multimeter and wrenches but not an avid mechanic. Recently my 2006 2.7 L Tacoma 2wd with 300,000 miles started giving me trouble. I start the truck and it starts and idles. I can throw it into neutral and walk away from it for at least 5 to 10 minutes. If I drive it down the street it doesn't stall ( less than 1 mile ) and then i drive back to the driveway pull in and it stalls. It then won't start again unless I give it gas. It will start if I do this, but it will only stay running as long as i'm giving it gas. Once it has sat for a few hours it will start again.

What I've done so far is routine maintenance - changed oil/filter, changed air filter, cleaned then changed MAF, replaced PCV valve. Also replaced the battery (was 8 years old or so anyway). I think this model doesn't have an easy valve for checking fuel pressure so I haven't gotten to that yet.

Any ideas?

First problems at 300,000 miles! That’s why we love these things! Did it start running rough before you changed the PCV valve? Regardless, check for vacuum leaks, cracked or split hoses, maybe something got pulled apart accidentally while you were doing maintenance. That’s where I’d start.

The rough idle was prior to the PCV valve change. And it's not always rough. When I first start it cold it runs well, then once it warms up it won't start without giving it gas. Once it cools down again it starts fine.

Additionally the compressor power is disconnected (for about a year now).

I'll check the vacuum and maybe my temperature sensors.

In this year the fuel pump and filter are together. Also I don't believe there is a convenient way to check fuel pressure with a quick attach valve in the engine compartment. In NH right now there is 8 inches of snow and about a foot of mud underneath so its not an option right now but as soon as everything either freezes or dries out I'll be under the truck. (unless I'm wrong about the quick attach valve for fuel - feel free to correct me about the '06's.)

In this year the fuel pump and filter are together. Also I don't believe there is a convenient way to check fuel pressure with a quick attach valve in the engine compartment. In NH right now there is 8 inches of snow and about a foot of mud underneath so its not an option right now but as soon as everything either freezes or dries out I'll be under the truck. (unless I'm wrong about the quick attach valve for fuel - feel free to correct me about the '06's.)

Welcome to the forum.
I’d check the fuel pump/filter. Injector cleaner wouldn’t hurt.
How long have you had the issue? It sounds simple but if it hasn’t been enough to cycle through a tank of watered down or bad gas (or if you are filling up at the same station) it may be an issue.

Back