2016+ "Factory" bed cover and leakage

TRD16

Wanted to get some feedback on how the 2016+ "factory" tonneau bedcover experience is regarding rain and "water resistance". From what I read on this forum and elsewhere is that there are mixed results. Some have only experienced "minor" leakage - a few drops during a heavy rain while others have experienced significant leakage - I'm in the second group. To me the cover is useless for anything I want to keep dry (tools, suitcase, bag of cement, etc). I would need to put anything I want to keep dry in a garbage bag or other container. The leaks come from the joints and the water travels along the joints toward the center of the bed. I have the bed mat but it gets wet as well. I would be happy with just a few drops of leakage.
This cover is on the invoice and is covered by the 3 year/36K miles for defects and workmanship (per the dealership). But wondering about people's experience and has anyone has worked with Toyota to find out what "water resistant" really means. I'm presently working with a dealership with this same question but not expecting much help.
Thanks in advance.

Someone else posted a “sort of” solution.
Oil the hinges only. Black duct tape along the folds, it won’t stick to the hinges because of the oil but will to the cover. This apparently sealed his pretty good, and you could hardly tell the tape was there.

I have a 2017 and sure enough it was a downpour leaving the dealership. Tri fold cover appeared to be useless. Read a tip somewhere to make sure to close the tailgate first and then the bed cover. Problem solved. Maybe a couple drops right at the tailgate but that’s about it.

I have a 2017 and sure enough it was a downpour leaving the dealership. Tri fold cover appeared to be useless. Read a tip somewhere to make sure to close the tailgate first and then the bed cover. Problem solved. Maybe a couple drops right at the tailgate but that’s about it.

That’s good to know. Thanks for sharing the info.

I’ve ensured that my factory tonneau was closed tightly and centered (since they’ll move a little when opened). I’ve had virtually no leaks since doing so. It has sealed as well as my other tonneau covers have over the years.

I guess you just have to find the right way to get each one to seal, whether it’s closing the tailgate first or whatever.
It’s worth a little bit of trial and error to keep a dry truck bed.

Back