2016 Tacoma POSSIBLE REAR DIF LEAK! Help

FortDrum91

Vehicle:2016 Tacoma SR5

Hey guys, I just joined this community, I wanted to see if I can get some input from anyone!
Let me make this short and sweet..
Got 2016 Tacoma SR5, currently 50k miles, no offroading, no lift, no accidents (that I know of..), bought used at about 15k miles, regularly maintained, has had the transmission software update.Toyota informed me about 2 years ago about a rear differential leak recall, so I took the baby in to get fixed- as far as I know, my truck was not leaking, but still it got "replaced".
Okay so fast forward 2 years later 2019, and Im noticing my truck behaving sluggishly. For example if I come to a complete stop at a light, I need to step on the gas HARD to pick up speed, im not talking racing, im talking like if I dont step on it my truck will be going UNDER the speed limit... She feels very hesitant to even pick up. My air intake and exhaust are aftermarket, K&N and Flowmaster, but the've been installed for 2 years now everything has been fine), I also rechecked and looks to me like they're installed properly. I looked at my rear dif becuase I had remembered that it had been recalled and replaced and I noticed what looks to be dried up oil leak- although I'm no expert lol, it looks like the leak dried up, or perhaps im trippin?? Anyways I called 2 Toyota dealerships and they WILL not look at it without me paying $145 diagnosis fee. Look I know nothing is free, but I dont want to pay for that lol. My argument to service manager was that Toyota had replaced this KNOWN issue ( and as far as I know mine was not even leaking at the time). Toyota put hands on my truck to fix this potential issue, maybe one of the mechanics did sloppy job?? I dont know. I dont feel I should pay $145 for Toyota to inspect something that should be covered under the power terrain warranty. You feel me? Or am I wrong here. PLease any input would be well appreciated, thank you guys.

IMG_20190904_183949.jpegIMG_20190904_184000.jpeg

Have you checked the oil level in youre diff? From the pictures it doesn't look like an active leak. If youre oil level is good I wouldn't worry about it other than checking youre diff at every oil change, something that should be done anyways.

There is recall for this they fixed my 2016 it’s a big job the whole diff needs to come apart if you had pay it would be over 1000

Hard to tell how fresh that is. I’d do like previously said and clean it off after checking my fluid level.
As far as the dealership goes, I wouldn’t want to pay anything either and would expect them to look at and cover the cost of repair as needed since it’s a widely known problem and recall.
Escalate with Toyota Corporate as needed.

You can clean it off with brake cleaner, re-torque the bolts in a star pattern and check again in a few months.

Back