2016 Toyota Tacoma ticking noise in motor ?

Ashley Mitchell

I just bought a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and there is a ticking noise in the motor. The dealership has told me that it is nothing to worry about... Any thoughts? I have never heard a ticking noise in a motor that was nothing to worry about

Yeah it’s normal. In 2016 Toyota switched to an Atkinson cycle motor for the Tacoma with direct and port injection.

I just bought a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and there is a ticking noise in the motor. The dealership has told me that it is nothing to worry about... Any thoughts? I have never heard a ticking noise in a motor that was nothing to worry about
Some BMW's sound like that too and all my old toyota trucks and 4runners made what I call a sewing machine noise. The 3rd gen 3.5 is noticeable but normal. I don't notice it unless I'm trying to but I'm use to it.
Turn the radio up and enjoy the ride.
Congrats on the new taco and welcome to the forum.

I bought one too and it ticks like a bomb they told me the same thing " nothing to worry about it's easy for them to say that "
A tech at the dealership told me Toyota will generate a recall on the injectors and timing gear in 2018 ya right we'll see I'm quite disappointed yet I still like Toyota

A tech at the dealership told me Toyota will generate a recall on the injectors and timing gear in 2018

That right there is BS. No one at the dealer has knowledge of what corporate has in mind.

All engine have injector tick though. That's how they sound when they actuate.

Good to know.
I recently (July 2017) purchased a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, and I've noticed the engine ticking noise as well.
I am also having a cold start issue. Instead of rolling over a few times and starting, it rolls over 6 or 7 times before
it catches and then kinda studders then catches, almost as if it is not getting enough fuel the first going off. I don't
think it's a fuel filter issue, it only has 36.00kms on it.
Any advice?

Good to know.
I recently (July 2017) purchased a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, and I've noticed the engine ticking noise as well.
I am also having a cold start issue. Instead of rolling over a few times and starting, it rolls over 6 or 7 times before
it catches and then kinda studders then catches, almost as if it is not getting enough fuel the first going off. I don't
think it's a fuel filter issue, it only has 36.00kms on it.
Any advice?
Move somewhere warmer :D
It’s still under warranty I’d take it to the dealer and try to duplicate the issue and see what they say. Could be a few different things.

It’s a cleaning cycle with the engine similar to the newer diesels for the air pollution garbage.

Keeps oil from building up in the intake runners and on the back of the intake valves.

The Ford diesel regen cycle is to burn the fuel soot caught in the particulate filter.

Back