2018 Tacoma TRD offroad wheels/tires & lift

Roy E Munson

So I just bought a silver 2018 Tacoma offroad on Monday and I was looking for a set up for wheels/tires and a lift. In looking around I found this Tacoma on rough country's website and it just looks so so good to me. The wheels are Helo HE886 and the tires are Nitto Trail Grapplers. The lift is the 4" rough country suspension lift. It looks like it would cost me roughly $2300 for the wheels and tires and then $1079 for the lift. That is definitely in my price range but I'm having trepidations about that specific lift and those tires. I will definitely do some off road but primarily use it as my daily driver so although those tires look awesome I don't think they would make sense especially when replacing them at $350 a piece. Then that lift sounds like it would include some alterations I'm not too keen on. You guys have any thoughts?
toyota-16-tacoma-silver-ds-rain-748n2.jpg

Yeah I keep hearing either toytec or OME but I do like that stance at 4 inches just not so sure about the quality or the alterations you need to make to use that lift.

Yeah I keep hearing either toytec or OME but I do like that stance at 4 inches just not so sure about the quality or the alterations you need to make to use that lift.
Congrats on the new Tacoma. Welcome to the forum.
They don’t make a 4” lift for Tacoma 4x4’s.
I wouldn’t go any higher than 3” and you’ll most likely need new UCA at that height.
There is lots of info on here. I did a quick search and found this
http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/...biggest-tires-i-can-fit-on-my-18-tacoma.6836/

So I just bought a silver 2018 Tacoma offroad on Monday and I was looking for a set up for wheels/tires and a lift. In looking around I found this Tacoma on rough country's website and it just looks so so good to me. The wheels are Helo HE886 and the tires are Nitto Trail Grapplers. The lift is the 4" rough country suspension lift. It looks like it would cost me roughly $2300 for the wheels and tires and then $1079 for the lift. That is definitely in my price range but I'm having trepidations about that specific lift and those tires. I will definitely do some off road but primarily use it as my daily driver so although those tires look awesome I don't think they would make sense especially when replacing them at $350 a piece. Then that lift sounds like it would include some alterations I'm not too keen on. You guys have any thoughts?
toyota-16-tacoma-silver-ds-rain-748n2.jpg
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the purchase!

You shouldn’t have any problems with rough country as long as you are not extreme off roading or hauling butt like a raptor. I’ve had them in a super duty and a half ton silverado. Ride is similar to stock with no problems. Good thing about that kit is it has differential drop brackets and lifted knuckles so you don’t need an aftermarket UCA. Your CV joints stay straight with the diff drop too

You shouldn’t have any problems with rough country as long as you are not extreme off roading or hauling butt like a raptor. I’ve had them in a super duty and a half ton silverado. Ride is similar to stock with no problems. Good thing about that kit is it has differential drop brackets and lifted knuckles so you don’t need an aftermarket UCA. Your CV joints stay straight with the diff drop too
How many diff drops have you used on Tacoma’s?

Diff drops are basically shims which in the end do nothing.

Drop bracket lifts like Junk Country use a drop bracket that is welded in place of the factory front crossmember. It works but you reduce ground clearance and they have been known to bend while doing moderate wheeling. Cutting of the crossmember is an automatic no no in my book.

Zero diff drops on a tacoma
I installed a 3” Revtek Pro 40013 lift on my 2017 Tacoma and the drop diff caused drive line vibrations, took it off those vibrations where gone. I was left with the needle bearing humming down the road at 35mph. ECGS bushing will fix the needle bearing if you get the vibrations from that.
If you’re going to use a spacer lift get one that uses in-coil spacers vs above coil and an AAL vs a block.
You don’t need the drop diff on a Tacoma.

I installed a 3” Revtek Pro 40013 lift on my 2017 Tacoma and the drop diff caused drive line vibrations, took it off those vibrations where gone. I was left with the needle bearing humming down the road at 35mph. ECGS bushing will fix the needle bearing if you get the vibrations from that.
If you’re going to use a spacer lift get one that uses in-coil spacers vs above coil and an AAL vs a block.
You don’t need the drop diff on a Tacoma.

Hhmm. Maybe revtek didn’t keep the same geometry? Or Maybe 3” isn’t enough to need a diff drop.

Back