2018 vs 2019 short bed design differences?

pipedog

All, I am looking at a soft tri fold tonneau cover for a 2019 trd sport. On Amazon they have the same item listed, but for a 2018 it is 30 dollars cheaper and the vehicle fitment guide says it won’t fit a 2019. Does anyone know if the bed design is different between the 18 and 19? Do both years have the internal rail system?
Thank you

My 19 has the internal rail system. When I bought it the dealer had already installed the hard tri fold and ive never looked to see how it was actually held on.

My 19 has the internal rail system. When I bought it the dealer had already installed the hard tri fold and ive never looked to see how it was actually held on.

If it’s an OEM cover than it takes a different type of rail from the factory. There’s a bolt under the cover on the front passenger side that takes it off.

All, I am looking at a soft tri fold tonneau cover for a 2019 trd sport. On Amazon they have the same item listed, but for a 2018 it is 30 dollars cheaper and the vehicle fitment guide says it won’t fit a 2019. Does anyone know if the bed design is different between the 18 and 19? Do both years have the internal rail system?
Thank you

Yes. Toyota’s have essentially had the same bed and rail system since 2005. The gen 3 trucks didn’t really change that.
A cover for a 19 will work for an 18.

If it’s an OEM cover than it takes a different type of rail from the factory. There’s a bolt under the cover on the front passenger side that takes it off.
Mine was put on by Southeast toyota dealers what ever they call themselves. The cover, led fog lights, and side steps were part of the dealer package. Mine is held on by brackets that fit into the track hold down rails and tighten up. It also has 2 extra security lanyards, thats what I call them, that are attached to the tie downs in the bed in the front. The first section of mine can't be flipped up to have full bed access. There may be more holding that first section in place, I have only ever folded the last 2 sections over on the first and not really looked to what was all entailed as far as holding the first section in place.

Last edited:
Mine was put on by Southeast toyota dealers what ever they call themselves. The cover, led fog lights, and side steps were part of the dealer package. Mine is held on by brackets that fit into the track hold down rails and tighten up. It also has 2 extra security lanyards, thats what I call them, that are attached to the tie downs in the bed in the front. The first section of mine can't be flipped up to have full bed access. There may be more holding that first section in place, I have only ever folded the last 2 sections over on the first and not really looked to what was all entailed as far as holding the first section in place.

Yeah. That sounds a little different than the standard OEM. Southeast Toyota does their own thing.

Back