2019 JBL Sound amp connectors pinout for adding aftermarket amplifier, sub, etc.

tacoaudioguy

I came up empty-handed while searching for this information on the internet, so I decided to figure it out and then post it here for others that might find it useful. By probing and measuring my 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport w/JBL sound system with some test equipment and a lot of patience, I managed to discover most of the JBL amplifier connectors pinout.

On the bottom white 24-pin connector, the white & black, and green & red come from a shielded bundle and are the left and right audio channel inputs to the amp. They are differential audio signals and not single-ended. Therefore, each channel requires 2 signal lines instead of using a common ground. Those are the only audio inputs to the amp as far as I can tell. The amp not only amplifies but also generates the individual front, rear, and front dash (tweets) speaker outputs, and they are all derived from just the right and left signal inputs to the amplifier. You must keep the factory JBL amp in the circuit in order for the factory head unit to function properly. Also, the head unit only sends a constant audio level to the amplifier which does not vary according to the volume that you set, which is counter intuitive. The volume and fader levels actually happen inside the amplifier, not the head unit! The head unit has some command/control over a data buss that it uses to communicate to the amplifier for things like volume, fader, muting, etc. What does it all mean? Well, you can start thinking of the factory JBL amplifier as nothing more than an extension of the head unit itself. If you plan to use the factory head unit with aftermarket amplifier(s), you'll need to keep the JBL amplifier in circuit, take the speaker level outputs from the JBL amp, and run them through line-level converters before finally running them to your aftermarket amp(s). Here are the speaker outputs of the JBL amplifier:

Top white connector:
large white/black wires (2) are the system ground (vehicle chassis ground)
purple/green = subwoofer voice coil1 + (pos)
purple/yellow = subwoofer voice coil1 - (neg)
purple/black = subwoofer voice coil2 + (pos)
purple/red = subwoofer voice coil2 - (neg)
green/yellow = front left door speaker - (neg)
green = front left door speaker + (pos)
blue = front right door speaker - (neg)
gray = front right door speaker + (pos)

Middle black connector:
large white and large gray wires (2) are the constant +12 Volts supply to the amplifier
violet/blue = right rear door speaker - (neg)
purple/green = right rear door speaker + (pos)
white = left rear door speaker + (pos)
black = left rear door speaker - (neg)
red = left front dash speaker (tweeter) + (pos)
yellow = left front dash speaker (tweeter - (neg)
pink = right front dash speaker (tweeter) - (neg)
violet = right front dash speaker (tweeter) + (pos)

There should be enough information provided here in my post to enable you to easily add an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer to your 2019 (and possibly the 2020) Tacoma TRD with JBL audio system. Hope this information saves someone else some time...

Back