35s on a 2wd

Tom4+2

I’ve looked high and low for answers. Can it be done. Do I need the cmc like a 4wd or can I accomplish this with rim size and offset and back spacing. Backspacing is limited in the wheels I like. Can I do this with a 17x8.5 with 35x10.5r17. I have a 6 inch rough country lift. I have heard all the negatives about 35s and rough country. Please remember that this is 2wd not 4wd. I’m not off-road. I have a 2wd Tacoma, that’s what I wanted. No trying to pose, just want a good looking road truck, maybe take to a show. Please help if you can give advice with out a bunch of negative put downs or bashing’s. Thank you.

I don’t think anyone will bash you on here. It’s highly frowned upon, but I would think a body lift would get you the clearance you need. Many years ago I bought a ranger that had 35’s. It had a 3” body and a 4” suspension. Although, it had 15” rims

Thanks. I don’t believe it’s about clearance. As in height. Every thing I’ve seen says they won’t turn with out rubbing. Just wondering is there a way around that besides cab mount chap since it’s 2wd.

I have a 10 Prerunner with 4” spindle lift and 285/70/17 with 17x9 rims. They have a backspacing of 4.75 and offset of -6. I had to trim just a little bit of the fender flares underneath. You can’t tell they have been trimmed by just looking at it. You should be able to clear 35s with 6” lift. I would think it would depend on the backspacing and offset whether it would rub the cab mount. The only thing you will most likely need is to change your gears in the rear differential.

Well I have 17x8.5 wheels right now. With 285/70r17. Will 35s fit these wheels? I think there 0mm. Would spacers work for the negative offset. Trying not to buy new wheels again. Thanks

Well I have 17x8.5 wheels right now. With 285/70r17. Will 35s fit these wheels? I think there 0mm. Would spacers work for the negative offset. Trying not to buy new wheels again. Thanks
Your current wheels should work fine with a 315/70-17 with no spacers. That's really close to a 35x12.5 but not quite and is usually a lighter and cheaper tire. You'll probably still find yourself wanting to do a cmc, 4x2 doesn't matter, we have the same frame and suspension. Aftermarket upper control arms and 4° caster in your alignment, (or slightly more since you're lifted 6") will help a lot with the cab mount rubbing too...

Hey guys, so I just bought a 2019 Taco SR “Workman’s” edition (nothing special- instead of rear folding seats I have two small tool compartments lol). Also a 2WD but with the 2.7L 4 banger. Awesome work truck- now I’ve been interested in some mods/upgrades and in particular this same one you’ve made. I guess to get down to brass tax and stop beating around the bush, can I do this with my truck? Or do you have any suggestions on where to start? I was thinking power train upgrades first, try to get some more power, then making my way up to wheels/tires and a lift. Sorry if I’m hijacking the post or far off topic. Thanks!

Hey guys, so I just bought a 2019 Taco SR “Workman’s” edition (nothing special- instead of rear folding seats I have two small tool compartments lol). Also a 2WD but with the 2.7L 4 banger. Awesome work truck- now I’ve been interested in some mods/upgrades and in particular this same one you’ve made. I guess to get down to brass tax and stop beating around the bush, can I do this with my truck? Or do you have any suggestions on where to start? I was thinking power train upgrades first, try to get some more power, then making my way up to wheels/tires and a lift. Sorry if I’m hijacking the post or far off topic. Thanks!

You might want to look at changing the gears. A lift and bigger tires with a 4 cyl will do a toll on the motor. Others may have better ideas though.

Back