3RZ-FE engine Spark Plugs & Coil Wires (question about which specs are important)

enginelover

3RZ-FE engine Spark Plugs & Coil Wires (question about which specs are important)

Just curious if it even matters which NGK spark plug to use out of the replacement list?

I think the original plugs for the 3RZ-FE are Nippon Denso ND K16R-U, gapped at 0.031" (sometimes listed as 0.032") at 14ftlbs (dry, at no anti-seize) torque.

The NGK web site lists suitable replacements as
1. Standard NGK BKR5ES
2. OE NGK BKR5EYA
3. GPower NGK BKR5EGP
4. Iridium NGK BKR5EIX
5 Ruthenium NGK FR5BHX

Pricewise, they are roughly equivalent given there are only 4 of them and they're pretty inexpensive so the question isn't at all about price.

Which works "right"?

Presumably, all the marketing aside, I can't go wrong with OE.
But does anyone have good or bad experiences with the other variants?

(And, yes, I will avoid Bosch at all costs.)

Same question about marketing with the sparkplug wiring loom.

3RZFE wiring loom Toyota Part Number 90919-22387
1. Local Toyota Dealership $150 (out of stock, 1 day away)
2. Camelback Toyota Dealership $83 (in stock, days away)
3. Local Parts Store $42 (in stock)

If I buy it at a parts store, what brand (NGK?) do you generally recommend?
The original owner said the current four wires were put on about a dozen years ago and that they're from a parts store in another state.

The labeling says "Belden Premium 5mm cable SAE Class F-KI".
Does the width or SAE class of coil wires even matter?

I picked up four spark plug sockets (5/8ths, 18mm, 3/4inch, & 13/16ths) and plugs and wires.

No matter how gentle I tried to pry up on the spark plug boot, EVERY plug wire broke off at the top of the sparkplug.

That little tiny broken off metal tip (yellow arrow) was what had prevented the 5/8ths inch spark plug socket from fitting on the plug hex.

In the photo below the red arrow points to the plastic wiring loom holder that was so brittle it broke.

Are they easy to replace?

Attachments

• plugs02.jpg
    plugs02.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Belden wires used to be sold by NAPA stores some years back. Great quality wires. Not sure who retails them now. You can look up Belden wires online and find retail dealers.

Back