4 wheel drive inoperative and light flashing

smokinjoe

BEER ALWAYS GETS ME STUCK
driving home on a very muddy road and no there's no water on it just thick mud on tried to kick it in 4 wheel drive but the light just flashed and will not engage anyone else have this issue at any point

Check the plugs at the transfercase. Clean them out of necessary. This has happened to many owners and usually the tranfercase shift actuator or ADD actuator is at fault. Some truck specs would help.

07 double cab short bed
4.0L v6
TRD off road
130k miles
3inch suspension lift
265/75/16 mastercraft axts
no front diff drop
.25'' spacers on all 4wheels
silver
Tpms light on
not trying to be disrespectful I'm just trying to give you everything I know about my truck lol

When my truck did this is was the actuator like whipper said.
Nothing I could do to get it not work.
Mine was replaced under warranty.
Maybe the cleaning thing will help

Well, the manual says when it does this to do this:
Stop the vehicle or reduce the vehicle speed to less than 100 km/h (62 mph). Operate the switch again.

I stopped and went in reverse a short distance about a foot and then hit the switch and it kicked in when mine wouldn't go in. That also worked when it wouldn't release back to 2wd. Or going from 4wd hi to lo and visa versa. I haven't shifted on the fly always at a stop if it wouldn't go in I just rocked it forward and reverse and it kicked in.

Manual also states you should drive in 4wd for at least 10 miles each month to insure that the front drive components are lubricated. This is in my 2006 Owners Manual.

Oh and you have a low tire according to your TPMS

Last edited:
To make the shift into 4wd easier you should shift into high when moving forward and you should also let off the throttle when doing so. 4wd low will go if super easy after that. No need to back up. That is done for vehicles have auto hubs. 2nd gen trucks and 98ish and up 1st gen trucks don't have a disconnect at the hub anymore.

Back