4 wheel drive modes

cjay

Hey everyone, I am new here. I am considering a new Tacoma for the first time. I see that there isn't "4 auto" mode. I have recently had domestic half tons with 4x4 auto mode and I usually put the truck in auto after the first snow fall and leave it there until spring. I am wondering if I am able to drive a 2023 Tacoma in 4 high all winter? Thank you.

Welcome, and yes you can, but it's not really recommended, especially at higher highway speeds. Best recommended to use 4hi or, lo only when needed on slippery surfaces. These trucks are pretty amazing just in 2wd.

You can run highway speeds in 4H, but do not shift in or out of 4H above 60 mph.

Also, puttin' around town on dry roads in 4H can be hard on tires and drive train. Suggest using 4H only when needed. Its really not too difficult to twist a knob an eigth of a turn.

Perhaps more practice in 2wd on slippery surfaces is in order.

My owners manual states never to switch into 4wd over 50 mph, and to use it when on slippery road conditions for these 3rd gen taco's. Avoid using 4hi when on dry asphalt type roads. These new trucks have lockers, and these poor man's posi systems like I have in my sr5. It's why they work so amazing just in 2wd, but are tough on the 4wd systems, and tires, when used on dry pavement.

isn't there a safefail in the knob or button to keep you from switching back to 2wd from 4hi at speeds over 60?

My owners manual states never to switch into 4wd over 50 mph, and to use it when on slippery road conditions for these 3rd gen taco's. Avoid using 4hi when on dry asphalt type roads. These new trucks have lockers, and these poor man's posi systems like I have in my sr5. It's why they work so amazing just in 2wd, but are tough on the 4wd systems, and tires, when used on dry pavement.

how are you supposed to 'exercise' the 4wd during the non-winter months unless you put into 4wd and hit the concrete trails for a spell
try to find a stretch to wheel that has no stopping and turning for a number of miles?

I use mine a few times a month on the 2 mile semi improved once a year dirt road I live off of. I assume it's what others will do when owning a new 4wd tacoma. Anyone with 1/2 a brain won't buy a 4wd truck, just to have it, when they could buy a 2wd to suit their needs just fine.

the PreRunner was first introduced in '98
so i would not have had that option in '97
it used to snow heavy + frequently in my area when i bot my rig

Thanks everyone. I guess my hesitation is that when the roads are ice and snow covered for 4 months I prefer to just leave my vehicle in 4x4 auto mode. Full size 1/2 tons are notoriously light in the back end and don't have great traction in 2 WD but maybe I would pleasantly surprised by a Tacoma. I did read that in 2024 there will be an AWD option.

Idk about the new 2024 models, but if they're anything like the gen3, it's like driving a mountain goat much of the time. I've used my 4wd in serious conditions only when I was towing my snowmobile trailer up north when the roads were snow, and ice covered last year. Much of the rest of last winter I left it in 2wd.

Back