77,777 milestone

its the relative's 2nd gen i have been doing some wrenching on
finally got the front diff gear oil done for the 1st time in ever
it took a bit over 4 hours to get finished with wheel removal remount
those steely wheels are definitely much lighter than the ones on my rig for some reason

its the relative's 2nd gen i have been doing some wrenching on
finally got the front diff gear oil done for the 1st time in ever
it took a bit over 4 hours to get finished with wheel removal remount
those steely wheels are definitely much lighter than the ones on my rig for some reason
Oh ok gotcha.

its only a 3" tekTon extension!
it requried much force to remove for the first time in 13 years and needed room for a small cheater pipe on the handle since my 1/2" breaker is 24" and kept hitting the ground!

i shall now have to get a shorter breaker of better quality than that dieHard that has WAY to much slop play at the engagement

Last edited:
You are aware it takes more force to loosen a fastener with a deeper extension than a short to the point one, plus there's less chance of your socket, or hex bit slipping off. I've never seen the need for a 24'' breaker bar either to remove these plugs.

no, i am not exactly aware of that there
thanks for educating me

ATF on this truck was drain/fill 22k miles ago
when does it need to be drain/fill again?

monkey hacks want nearly 300$ for this task now

does the ATF oil cost that much??

I try to do the 4 qt drain, and refill every 30-40k on these newer auto's if towing, off-roading, or lots of short trips are involved. If this is a sealed transmission, there is a strict procedure needed to follow when refilling, letting the transmission warm up to the right temp, so it's not under filled, or over.

it is not sealed, it has a check stick up topside in a hard-to-reach spot it never fails!

check stick is orangish in colour

Last edited:
Imo, if doing only drain, and refills, always use the original toyota atf recommended for that type transmission. Mixing aftermarket atf brands that even claim they are compatible can really screw up your transmission's shifting patterns.

Last edited:
The Gen2 5 spd AT is a sealed trans. There is a very specific procedure to check the fill level.

You don't need the $$$ Toyota brand ATF at $18/qt. You need to use ATF Type WS. I'll be using Valvoline ATF Type WS for less than $12/qt. I expect <3 qts will be needed for a drain & fill. Full fluid change interval on the Gen2 5 spd AT is 100,000 miles.

if you use something other than the specific blended Toyota WS blend it is advised to completely void the entire system before using another product the two DO NOT mix well over long time, this is what is said to do

Back