96 taco suspension

Jasper

I'm the second owner of a 96 taco, standard cab, 2.7L four banger. I've had it since 2000. I've decided to go with a 3/2 lift kit with pro comp struts and shocks. Wondering if putting an add a leaf on the rear would be a good idea. I drive a lot of logging roads and back country routes as I live deep in the woods. Recently replacing my leaf packs with more oem spec leaf packs (3rd time!), and noticing that the leaves are already sitting as flexed as they can be w/o reverse bow, is what prompted this decision. Oh, and that I'm getting a bit of rub running only 31" bfg a/t.

Last edited:
I've decided to add a little height to my stance. I live in the cascade forest and I'm often driving anything but pavement. My 31 BFG A/T and stock ride height have served me well but I have been dealing with some slight rubbing in reverse turns and this is the 3rd set of leaf packs and 2nd set of shocks and struts I've burnt thru. I'm not sure what would be the best option. I'm leaning towards an add a leaf and some coil spacers along with some more terrain appropriate shocks. Any suggestions are certainly welcome.

Are you in Washington or Oregon? Just wondering.
Bilstein 5100's in all 4 corners and the dakars leaf pack would give you what you are looking for. I wouldn't add a spacer in front with your current set up.

If you have mud flaps that's probably what's rubbing.
Nice choice on tires. BTW.
What size are they? 265/70/16? 275/75/16?

Thanks for your input I'm in Oregon, between Astoria and Portland. My bfg's are 31"x10.5". It's the only rubber I put on my rigs. I also have a 2002 tacoma trd step side with the 3.4, my favorite power source. Not really a fan of the stepside but with only 60,000 miles on it and a price tag of very affordable, I just couldn't resist. The rubbing can't be the flaps cause I scrapped the stock flaps and made some 4 inch black steel ones for that very reason. I'm fairly positive that the rubbing is due to my struts being shot.

I'd replace the struts than.
I want to check out Astoria this summer. There are a few breweries there I'd like to try. Also the historical aspect and can't forget the Goonies house.

Yeah, Astoria is the oldest American settlement west if the Rockies. If you make it here you need to include the Portway Tavern in your list of places to visit. It's the oldest drinking establishment out west. Complete with an outdoor fighting pit, the only real way to resolve your minor alcohol induced offenses of the time. And they still have the trapdoor under the table at the end of the bar, use....unknown.

Yeah, Astoria is the oldest American settlement west if the Rockies. If you make it here you need to include the Portway Tavern in your list of places to visit. It's the oldest drinking establishment out west. Complete with an outdoor fighting pit, the only real way to resolve your minor alcohol induced offenses of the time. And they still have the trapdoor under the table at the end of the bar, use....unknown.
That's why I was going to get out there this summer. Check out the history. Thanks for the tavern tip. I'll for sure check that out.
The trap door was probably for Shanghai. Drunk patrons would wake up on a boat and told work or we throw you overboard. I would choose work.
Portland has an entire tunnel system that was used for that and opium dens. Lots of bars in Portland have the trap doors that drop into the shanghai tunnel system. Get drunk go do some opium pass out and wake up on a boat hung over and headed to Asia and told get to work or die.
If you think waking up next to a stranger in your bed is bad. :eek::oops:

Back