? a new humming noise just popped up on the gen1

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 353k on the 0D0
You gotta have REAL sensitive ears to get this
Surroundings must be quiet as a mouse
Slow roll humming whilst coming to a stop
Humming stops when rig is finally stopped with engine still at idle

Cannot tell which side it is coming from and I suppose the noisy is from the front and not the rear but not a definite

My assumption is a wheel bearing in the front? Likely the original one with 352k miles on the passenger side
Driver side has a new OEM with something like 22k miles onit

Or perhaps it's just the caliper dragging the brakes up front ?

I'd suspect a wheel bearing.

Try this. Roll down the windows, Take a slow speed ride on a quiet road. Swing the truck in a series of S turns. If the "hum" increases on a left swing, its likely the Right wheel bearing. If the "hum" increases on a right swing, its likely a Left wheel bearing. It the opposite of the turn due to how the weight of the truck shifts to the outside wheel.

Don't really matter which one is failing, replace both. They have the same mileage as each other. If one is failing, the other isn't far behind.

Driver side bearing has failed 3 times in the past 4 years
Passenger side is stock still never touched

Wheel bearing should not fail that frequently. Something is causing the pre-mature failure.+

They should be good for 100 kmiles. 350+ Kmiles........probably failed long ago.

Driver side bearing has failed 3 times in the past 4 years
Passenger side is stock still never touched
Why didn't you replace both sides when the first one failed. You remind of a farmer I use to help in turn he gave me hunting privileges on his farm. He had an old chevy truck that the u-joint failed on...instead of replacing the entire u-joint, he just replaced the broken cap in the existing joint with a cap off a new u-joint, storing the rest of the new u-joint on a shelve for future stock.

Wheel bearing should not fail that frequently. Something is causing the pre-mature failure.+

They should be good for 100 kmiles. 350+ Kmiles........probably failed long ago.
I never had a wheel bearing failure in nearly 300k miles on my gen1 tundra.

Because the other side was still ok and the cost to replace just one was a nasty hit on the pocket at more than 1000$ with parts

Why didn't you replace both sides when the first one failed. You remind of a farmer I use to help in turn he gave me hunting privileges on his farm. He had an old chevy truck that the u-joint failed on...instead of replacing the entire u-joint, he just replaced the broken cap in the existing joint with a cap off a new u-joint, storing the rest of the new u-joint on a shelve for future stock.

I never had a wheel bearing failure in nearly 300k miles on my gen1 tundra.
I hit a lot of nasty holes at high speed on that driver front, I try to avoid but can't always
It seems like all the holes from the semi truck are right there in the right lane left side

You need to learn how to do this work or find a more reasonable mechanic. $1000 per side.

Did he at least give you a kiss or pull your hair while you were getting screwed?

China made bearing failed within 20k miles
Or it was bad hackjob install
Or the hub was not replaced the first time
Or bearing installed backWards
Or the axle nut not torqued to proper spec

That 1000$ was the dealer with dealer sourced OEM parts that were definitely more than 400$ MSRP and likely over 500$ on just parts
Took it to a hack shop for 700$ and a junk china bearing that soon failed and there is a story to go with it

it does have its share of fits at times
more frequently now than in the past o_O

Just simply astounding.....................

LIke most kids today.....Always someone else's fault. Never responsible for anything.

Jay, perhaps you should consider joining the protest at Columbia U.

Back