Advice needed!

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Larry77, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Larry77

Larry77 Member

Greetings guys! I’ve got a plan for this winter wanna buy a bed tent for my 18 Tacoma Sr 4x2 and go to Algonquin park for one night! It’s going to be like all snow I believe - gonna purchase 4 Goodyear duratrac allterrain tires for the truck and no lifting or other improvement. Does this plan sound good? Any advice for me to drive a 2nd truck on snow? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Take a 4wd buddy.

Bogunn likes this.
  4. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Weight in the rear of the bed over the rear axle. Stay out of anything deep. Keep a shovel to dig yourself out if needed and some cat litter for traction.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  5. OP
    Larry77

Larry77 Member

I know some guys drive powerful 4x4 around me but I wouldn’t count on that because you know you couldn’t really ask others to suit my schedule....yet thanks!

lcarrasco212 likes this.
  6. OP
    Larry77

Larry77 Member

Thanks! Just have to ask, what the point behind weighting the rear of my bed?

Bogunn likes this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Because a pickup truck has no real weight in the rear but is rear wheel drive. Weight on the drive wheels help with traction.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  8. OP
    Larry77

Larry77 Member

Ahh got it. Thanks Bogunn!

Bogunn likes this.
  9. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

No problem buddy

10. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Tell people exactly where you’re going to be and how long you’re going to be there. Tell them if they don’t hear from you by a certain time to send out the search party. :D

TucsonSteve, Bogunn and John dev like this.
  11. John dev

John dev Active Member

Keep a cellphone with you
    Bring someone with you

Bogunn likes this.
  12. Scuzzy

Scuzzy Well-Known Member

First rule in any excursion...especially in snow...take a friend. Second...in snow, always take snow chains, even if you have the biggest bad ass 4x4. Lastly, check coms in the area. If there is a cell tower near by, great. If not, CB (channel 9) or 2-10 meter radio from Rugged Radio or PCI (internal emergency “pingers” for SAR). That is on top of the usual survival gear, blankets, extra clothing and magnesium block/road flares for fire starter.

13. Scuzzy

Scuzzy Well-Known Member

Not that I have ever done it before or ever got stuck 50 miles from civilization for 3 days and had to embarrassingly get help because I went on my own.

14. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

o_O

15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I keep a magnesium block, topo map, compass, iodine tablets, etc in the truck. You never know.

OR17TRD and Crawdad like this.
  16. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Pack plenty of beers and some beef jerky. Leave your wife or girlfriend at home so they won’t complain if your stranded a couple of days