Advice on head unit car stereo

I need help on which size head unit I need to replace the stock one. Looking for one with android auto for under $500. Was thinking about this one. Sony XAV-AX5000 7", or is this too big? Anyone have any other suggestions or have this head unit? My stock head unit is the cheaper one that comes in the SR5 models. 20190624_112023.jpeg

A while back I asked a similar question about a unit I was interested in.

Crickets.

With all the discussion over speakers you would think there would be some expertise in head units.

I think the head unit in the Taco is pretty good. It's fast, intuitive, and does most of what I need, including bluetooth to my phone, which gives me everything else I need. It would be nice to have Apple Car Play on my '17.

Recommendation: The unit you mention looks like an economy unit to me. Make sure you are getting everything you need first before trying to get extras. Make a list and check it twice before you go to anybody for recommendations.

My 2 cents.

By the way, did you buy anything?

I ripped out my entune unit from my Runner and threw it in a box. I've had 1 Pioneer and 1 Kenwood DD units and I'm more happy with the Kenwood. There are many different levels of features that you have to look through and see if you want. Not having a disc drive and built in navi will save you some money. Navigation is handled by the phone if the unit is compatible with CarPlay or Android Auto with those non navi units.

Navigation is handled by the phone

I'd be careful about relying on the phone for navigation. In and around Asheville, Verizon has great service. But T-moble drops out on I40 less than 20 miles from the edge of Asheville. Yet, the navi that comes with Entune always works.

We go 2 hours into the outback to kayak, and, again, Entune navi always works, but even Verizon has no signal.

I'd be careful about relying on the phone for navigation. In and around Asheville, Verizon has great service. But T-moble drops out on I40 less than 20 miles from the edge of Asheville. Yet, the navi that comes with Entune always works.

We go 2 hours into the outback to kayak, and, again, Entune navi always works, but even Verizon has no signal.

Yeah I've been in that situation. I just needed to find the freeway when leaving the LA Auto show but my phone had no service which is very unusual in Los Angeles. My head unit's GPS still worked.

Back