Air intake

chris77

Hey I've a 2007 4.0L v6 prerunner and I've been thinking of getting a k&n cold air intake. Are they a good upgrade or should i stay away from them?

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1462751303.800272.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1462751391.143547.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1462751523.125122.jpg
I've had them on my 2010 Trail Teams FJ bought new and my 2007 Tacoma. Better throttle response and sounds better. Putting one in my new 2016 Tacoma.

Guys, do a little more research before you make the change. Because the K&N is an oiled filter, it can cause problems with the MAF sensor. In addition, while it may flow better, that comes at a price. Increased airflow also allows more dust particles into the engine. Don't fall for the manufacturers claims of increased power.

Guys, do a little more research before you make the change. Because the K&N is an oiled filter, it can cause problems with the MAF sensor. In addition, while it may flow better, that comes at a price. Increased airflow also allows more dust particles into the engine. Don't fall for the manufacturers claims of increased power.
How many and what brand intakes have you owned and in what trucks?

I've only had it on one truck. It was a 2005 F-150. I keep pretty meticulous records and saw absolutely no improvement in mileage. Never had it on a dyno so I can't say for certain, but other than the sound, I could tell no difference from the factory unit.

I considered putting one on my Tacoma, but after reading several articles I determined that it wasn't worth the expense. Look, I have no dog in this fight, but I hate to see folks throw money away needlessly. I was just giving the OP another point of view. But, it's your money and your truck, so do what makes you happy.

For the $200-$300 for the intake it's worth the throttle response I've gotten in 7 trucks! 338,000 miles between 2 Toyotas. The FJ and my 07 Taco. No problems with MAF sensors!!!! If dummies oil the **** out of them they might have problems. I only post what I've personally experienced in my life owning trucks , SUV's and cars. Not what someone wrote in a post or what I feel about something I knew not much about. People waste money however they like, it's not a waste if it gives some type of enjoyment. You can plan , save money and never live long enough to "retire" . This isn't a fight just a discussion. Remember tomorrow isn't promised!

For the $200-$300 for the intake it's worth the throttle response I've gotten in 7 trucks! 338,000 miles between 2 Toyotas. The FJ and my 07 Taco. No problems with MAF sensors!!!! If dummies oil the **** out of them they might have problems. I only post what I've personally experienced in my life owning trucks , SUV's and cars. Not what someone wrote in a post or what I feel about something I knew not much about. People waste money however they like, it's not a waste if it gives some type of enjoyment. You can plan , save money and never live long enough to "retire" . This isn't a fight just a discussion. Remember tomorrow isn't promised!
Ive had non k n air filters but same type short ram air intake on a couple tuners and never oiled them and saw no problems at all, then again i was on road.

Ive had stock, stock with trd filter, afe stage 2 si, urd, and k&n.

I always come back to afe.
K&n was used just for testing as its an oiled pos.

Ive also tested the volant on a buddies truck.

ALL draw ambient air at approx 40mph. The newer trd intake is flawed, the volant has been known to cause cel to go on in the past, afe is loud on n/a trucks, stock is quiet, urd sounds great, but doesnt like rain or water crossing.

So, take 2 extremes.... the warm intake LOOKING k&n and the URD both draw the same temps at approx 40mph. Just as the stocker does.

Back