Anti sway bar

dmaples

I’m going to be towing a 3,500 lbs camper trailer for the first time with my 2011 Tacoma long bed V6 automatic for the first time for a two hour drive. My question is will I need an anti sway bar?

You don't say which Tacoma model you have, but I bought a 2019 Sport and didn't like the feel of the rear end under load or the associated sag, so I purchased sumo springs. You remove your bump stops and install these in the same location, 1/2 hour job that anyone mildly handy can do in their driveway or garage. Roughly $300 bucks for both rear sides. I'm not getting any kickbacks from the company, just telling you that you should look into them as they made a huge difference in how my truck felt and performed when either carrying loads in the bed and/or pulling a trailer. Much, much more stable feel and control. Your other options are the timbren rubber bump stop replacements (I saw instances where they would split under load) or you could try airbags (didn't go with them due to possible puncture and/or long/short term maintenance. Good luck.

Back