Any tales of hairy trails in a bone-stock Taco?

I have a 2016 Off-Road model, and have taken it on some rough trails with deep ruts and rocks, a stream crossing, some light mud. It was fun and challenging but nothing crazy. And I was careful about taking it slow and not screwing it up. No surprise, it performed great. I'll occasionally daydream about lifts and beefy suspensions and winch bumpers etc, and may go that route eventually. But I haven't done it due to warranty and cost considerations.

I know there are obviously many reasons to lift or otherwise trick out a truck, but anyone care to argue the case for leaving a nice vehicle like that just the way it was made? Curious what folks on this sub forum say. I can't be the only one on here hesitant to mess with a good thing. Can I?

Last edited:
Messing or upgrading. I look at it as upgrading, and you're right these trucks are pretty capable bone stock. I have a 2013 and am slowly making it heavier lol. Don't think warranty is affected by upgrading armor and such. Not sure about lifts, never thought about that.

A stock (except for sliders and tires) 4Runner made it through the Rubicon trail. A stock Tacoma wouldn't make it.

129-0912-01-z%2b2010-toyota-4runner-trail%2bfront-view-mud.jpg

Thanks for the replies and welcome any others. And thanks for the photo; next time I'm out somewhere in a nasty spot I'll try and remember to take some.

There is a video of my stock DCSB pulling a trailer up a fairly easy trail out of Blue Lakes. Good example of the kind of fun you can have. In the post your truck off road thread.

Warranty is only effected if the dealership can prove the aftermarket part caused the problem.

Or if u listen to the handful of baby pant antler members on here who let the dealership bend them over.

Back