Anyone running 4.88s?

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Taco_Tuesday, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Taco_Tuesday

Taco_Tuesday Well-Known Member

I've been reading a lot about how awesome it is going from the stock 3.91 gears to the 4.88 gears. Anyone running 4.88s? How much better is it? I'm getting mine installed in a couple weeks.

tooter and OR17TRD like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jac23

Jac23 Active Member

Please update when you do and give us all a review. Are you getting the nitro gear?

tooter and Taco_Tuesday like this.
  4. OP
    Taco_Tuesday

Yea. I got the full Nitro Gears kit from summit racing. Cheapest place right now. About $1250 for everything for front and rear (including both install kits). Shop in town is charging me $900 to install. Can't wait to get at it with them.

tooter likes this.
  5. indy_taco

indy_taco Well-Known Member

What size tires will you be rubning with the 4.88s?

Taco_Tuesday likes this.
  6. OP
    Taco_Tuesday

285 65 18 BFG KO2s

7. OP
    Taco_Tuesday

So, just got her back from having the new gears installed. First of all, what a difference. Only drove about 15 miles, and picked up almost an extra 0.5 MPG. Takeoff is smoother, with more power. I actually hit 5th on the highway, and could cruise at 65+ mph with just my big toe. More torque, more power...this is exactly what it should have been like from factory. Love it.

Crawdad, tooter and B-Man like this.
  8. indy_taco

Thats awesome! Glad it worked out like you hoped. I've been tossing around the idea of rehearing the wife has big spending on lock down lol

tooter and B-Man like this.
  9. OP
    Taco_Tuesday

Now is a great time. I think summit is having their 19% off sale still. And itll save money on fuel. It's all in how you sell the idea to the Mrs. Its an investment in awesome. Lol

10. indy_taco

We are in process of selling our house and buying another so maybe I can sweet talk her into using some of our equity haha

tooter likes this.
  11. OP
    Taco_Tuesday

That's the spirit! Lol

tooter likes this.
  12. Tape

Tape Well-Known Member

Don't get too excited about your mileage because it's going to drop, not to discourage you but just stating facts.