Anyone use AI to help with repair info?

bt1523

I could see a scenario where you describe the issues you are noticing with your car to get advice/instructions from an AI trained on all historical auto repair knowledge across every make/model.

Basically to save time diagnosing issues and flipping through the manual... or trying to find the info online ;)

But what do you think?

I’ve tried ChatGPT 4 and Google Bard/Gemini to narrow down issues or get repair instructions. So far I’ve either gotten back super generic information, wrong information, or it just refers me to the manual.

Has anyone tried AI to help them work on their car? What did you use & how did it go?

Cheers

Last edited:
might need some of that AI in order to properly reinstell a wheelhouse liner with the arch mouldings on a Gen1 tacoma
:confused:
it seems a rather complicated task to do

Thanks but I'll pass. I prefer my knowledge, experience, written procedures and diagnostics.

I've seen the product from AI. It has a long way to go for me to consider it.

Good luck with your endeavor.

I'm old school also. AI would be the last thing I want to see happen. Imo, its kind of a shame where we are headed when one can't rely on ones self anymore.

Thanks but I'll pass. I prefer my knowledge, experience, written procedures and diagnostics.

I've seen the product from AI. It has a long way to go for me to consider it.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Thanks Rock62. I trust myself more than AI right now too :) What do you think about a scenario where you move to a different platform... god forbid... a Ford lol.

Basically what I mean here... IF there was to be a scenario where you could describe issues to get advice/instructions from an AI trained on all historical auto repair knowledge across every make/model.

Could save time diagnosing issues and flipping through the manual... or trying to find the info online :)

The thing that also annoys me is trying to get at the right video on YouTube if its complicated enough for me to look for one.

What would it need to do for it to be useful for you?

Cheers!

I'm old school also. AI would be the last thing I want to see happen. Imo, its kind of a shame where we are headed when one can't rely on ones self anymore.
Hey tacojoel... maybe think of it more as an improved version of Google?

I mean, we all still do things (well some of us... to your point) but we also benefit from the convenience of getting at info faster with Google.

Maybe I'd ask the same question I asked Rock62: what would it need to do for it to be useful for you?

might need some of that AI in order to properly reinstell a wheelhouse liner with the arch mouldings on a Gen1 tacoma
:confused:
it seems a rather complicated task to do
JayQQ97 haha... wish I could break you off a piece of AI right now for that project :)

So far I've just used it for a simple job to test it... gen1 tacoma brakes... front/rear.

Hey tacojoel... maybe think of it more as an improved version of Google?

I mean, we all still do things (well some of us... to your point) but we also benefit from the convenience of getting at info faster with Google.

Maybe I'd ask the same question I asked Rock62: what would it need to do for it to be useful for you?
I hate google, I swear google is some nefarious government agency spying on all the things we do. The most useful thing ai can do is get out of our lives.

Thanks Rock62. I trust myself more than AI right now too :) What do you think about a scenario where you move to a different platform... god forbid... a Ford lol.

Basically what I mean here... IF there was to be a scenario where you could describe issues to get advice/instructions from an AI trained on all historical auto repair knowledge across every make/model.

Could save time diagnosing issues and flipping through the manual... or trying to find the info online :)

The thing that also annoys me is trying to get at the right video on YouTube if its complicated enough for me to look for one.

What would it need to do for it to be useful for you?

Cheers!
You stated some key words where AI will always fall short, "...trained on all historical auto repair knowledge across every make/model."

The industry moves too quickly for AI to keep up. It is also dependent on humans to program and enter data.

I have lived my professional life from the days of drafting boards and written change notices to the modern day 3D modeling software and electronic change notices. The modern stuff is more tedious and arduous than the bygone systems. The Achillies heel is the software and server that this relies upon. Power outage, malware, virus, security......is always in jeopardy. Really hard to hack into a written database or to kill it with a malicious virus or a power outage. In some aspects the modern equipment does save some time, but in the end......its humans making the system work.

As golden as the holy grail of AI appears, it never will surpass the adaptability, intelligence or the creativity of the human brain. To steal a phrase from "I Robot", its all just clockworks and electrons.

And when it comes to diagnostics..... Often times the broken/failed item is a symptom of a deeper cause. Programming AI to drive to a deeper cause will be a significant challenge. This is when intuition, experience and creativity step in to sift out the root cause. A fundamental in root cause diagnostics is a simple path called the "5 Whys". If you don't know....do some research on this.

As I said.
Good Luck with your endeavor.

Back