ATF issues on 2017 year models?

Chip276

I've been reading the posts about low ATF and unless I missed something I believe they all related to 2016's.
My '17 is literally showroom fresh and so far everything seems tight, there is no delay when engaging drive or reverse etc. So I'm wondering if the issues were resolved when enough people rightly complained to their dealers about their '16s?
Thanks in advance, just trying to avoid losing sleep over this one.

I'm not intimately familiar with the issue and have only read some of the post, but I believe that is correct. The early 17' and I believe late 16's had that relatively often.

There was also an edit of the transmission programming associated with shifting at roughly the same time.

Of course, all of this is hearsay and I may be guilty of simply spouting gibberish.

I just picked up a 2017 Sport. 50 mikes on it now. I do feel some shuddering when backing out of my garage and maneuvering in my driveway. It feels like the it slips or engages/disengages. It feels a lot like that computer controlled clutchless transmission in Volkswagens or a Porsche PDK transmission.

Not sure if it is normal or not. But I think not. There should be no reason for that when backing straight out of a garage.

I will drive it a few more days and if it keeps happening, I will take it to the dealer to check the fluid level.

I noticed resistance when backing out of my driveway this morning in 4x4. It's slightly downhill so it was odd. Haven't experience it when backing out in 4x2. Will have to see if it happens again.

No delay noticed when shifting it from reverse into drive in either 4x2 or 4x4.

It seems to take a little more throttle to pull away in 4x4 than in 4x2, but seeing as it's the first time I switched into 4x4 it could be normal operation for all I know.

Switched it back to 4x2 for highway travel and turned cruise control on. It held speed ok without hunting for a gear and it only switched gears when encountering an incline.

So far so good..I think. I have some uncertainty over how it performed when reversing out of the drive.
Will have to see what happens as I get more miles on it.

Edit: Went back out and experienced shuddering in 4 high in reverse and coming to stop in drive. Called dealer and heading in now.

Last edited:
Let us know what they say. Another thought... do these trucks have some sort of hill holder brake?? Our Passat had that and it felt similar pulling away from a stop. Could just be the brake releasing????

Let us know what they say. Another thought... do these trucks have some sort of hill holder brake?? Our Passat had that and it felt similar pulling away from a stop. Could just be the brake releasing????
I wondered the same thing about the hill holder too.
So I just got back from the dealer. They have a service lane to pull into and as soon as I pulled in and explained my concern they got the service manager. He came out and asked me my concerns. I told him how it felt like brakes were being applied when I reversed in 4H and how I felt a judder when turned to almost full lock etc. He right away told me that it is normal operation and estimated it would happen as soon as we turned out of the service lane, sure as **** it did it. It hapened exactly when he expected it to, same as when I came to expect it to. In 2WD no issues occurred. He opened up the owners manual and found a passage that described my experience almost to a t. When we arrived back to the lot he grabbed the keys to another spankin' new Taco (TRD double cab versus my SR5 double cab).
It did the same thing, exactly when expected.

Soooooo....while I think it's funky, the explanation in the book makes sense and another truck on the lot did the same thing.

I spoke with him about the ATF issues I'd read about and he freely acknowledged those issues (they had two '16s need the ATF fluid attended to) but said new models on the lot have been verified at the factory (hopefully true, but unverifiable).
I haven't had issues with delayed shifting or hunting for gears so I have no reason to think that's an issue on mine.

He also said there'd been a crank position sensor issue previously that had caused a Halt Sale on Tacoma's (they had one customer stopped after 45 minutes of driving)..
He told me of frame rust issues on prior models also.
What I'm getting at here is the fact that he was very forthcoming with fault information so I don't think he was giving me a bum steer, plus there is the passage in the manual about my experiences to back up what he said.

I think I was probably knee jerking to my perceived issue after reading about legitimate issues that others have experienced.

See attached screen cap from the owners manual.

Attachments

• 2WD to 4H.JPG
    2WD to 4H.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 43
Turning in 4wd causes driveline bind. All vehicles with part time 4wd do it because there is no center diff like in full time 4wd/awd vehicles.

Turning in 4wd causes driveline bind. All vehicles with part time 4wd do it because there is no center diff like in full time 4wd/awd vehicles.
Thank you.
I find myself thoroughly uneducated on this and I just looked up more info on driveline bind based on your reply. Makes total sense now.
Had a Ford Escape a few years back and with it being AWD I never thought about it.
The 4H and 4L selectability in the Taco is a new thing for me.

Back