Atkinson cycle 3.5

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by 1234halo1234, Jan 7, 2019.

1. 1234halo1234

1234halo1234 Member

Dont buy the 2019 Tacoma without doing your homework
    This Tacoma is a real piece of crap
    Test drive this truck for at least 100 miles at various speeds the engine vibration is unbelievable for such an expensive vehicle
    The throttle response is ridiculous and constantly feels like there is bad fuel in the system from Toyota doing too much with the engine and transmission to cut emissions and fuel economy
    If I wanted a Prius I would have bought one now I own a $40,000.00 piece of crap
    Good luck

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

:eek:
    Welcome to the forum?? I think...

4. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this.......so during the test drive you noticed engine vibration, ridiculous throttle response and what feels like bad fuel in the system.......and you still purchased it???

Rocket tech, tminahan, Mobsan and 9 others like this.
  5. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

$40??? Yikes!

tinyjew, OR17TRD, Bogunn and 2 others like this.
  6. OP
    1234halo1234

1234halo1234 Member

Unfortunately I didn’t test drive this truck as it was my third purchase from this dealership and put together late Saturday I came straight back to dealership and was told they would address it Monday
    Monday came only to be told this is how they drive now

7. OP
    1234halo1234

1234halo1234 Member

I know it sounds crazy but I trusted this dealership

8. OP
    1234halo1234

1234halo1234 Member

It’s a loaded truck

9. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Give it some time......I love my 2017.....have 21K miles on it now and have noticed it just keeps gettin' better and better as far as driving and ride!

texasred and 1234halo1234 like this.
  10. Crawdad

Go back and ask to test drive 3-5 others and call your sales guy out on his sh!t if you find one that drives much better. If you hate it, return it.

P.S.- OVTune does wonders for throttle response!

11. OP
    1234halo1234

1234halo1234 Member

Thanks I’m hopeful Toyota will have a software fix in the near future

I have
    Glad to hear this the dealership said the same thing just a little unsettling when not expected

B-Man likes this.
  12. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to put that throttle down and run it! That 3.5L will take all you can give. It will get up and go if you tell it to.

13. OP
    1234halo1234

1234halo1234 Member

I realize I am among some serious Tacoma fans and believe me I want this to work out I love the truck and can’t believe Toyota would do this to a serious truck

If we wanted a Prius we would have bought one

14. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Before spending 40k on a truck I’d always do my homework.
    I’ve got a 40k+ 2018 OffRoad with premium and tech packages. I love my truck. I have had two of the third gen Tacomas.
    Give the truck a chance. Break the motor in. There’s multiple threads online complaining of the Atkinson motor.
    Give it time to let the ECU learning do its job.

texasred, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Also, if you hate the truck that bad you can trade it in without taking a huge loss. The Tacoma maintains its value like no other.

Rocket tech and B-Man like this.
  16. OP
    1234halo1234

1234halo1234 Member

I will try to be patient just wish the dealership would have explained this before I freaked out

17. Crawdad

Pics of the truck? Videos of the engine running? Video of 0-60 for comparison?

AKA- Proof that you're not a Coloraydoe or Ranger fanboy that just came to sh!t in a Tacoma forum?

Rocket tech, DEERTAY, BigMau and 4 others like this.
  18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Wow. Do people actually do that? That would be a sad existence. Lol

texasred, B-Man and Crawdad like this.
  19. Crawdad

Indeed

20. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Yep all the time.

oconnor, texasred, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  21. Crawdad

There's lots of people out there with miserable lives, mostly self-inflicted...

bstege, texasred, B-Man and 2 others like this.