Auto transmission shift lever

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Nigel Jones, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nigel Jones

Nigel Jones New Member

The pin attaching the shift cable to the shift lever on the side of the transmission on my '09 Taco broke. In attempting to remove it the shift lever appears to have gone over center and now will not engage at all, cannot get it back into position. Does this mean the pan has to come off and can it be popped back in with the pan off?

Thx for the help,

Nigel, Canada

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

That sucks. Two things I don’t do electical and tranny’s

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Bojangles and Bogunn like this.
  4. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

FIFY

B-Man, OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  5. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean,... pics?

6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I’m shocked. I learn something new about myself daily.

B-Man and Bogunn like this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Haha

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  8. OP
    Nigel Jones

Nigel Jones New Member

Turned out that when you try to take off the cable pin nut on the shift arm if you apply too much pressure the arm rotates out of the internal detent. Only solution is to drop the pan and reset it. Not a big job but messy. If the pin nut is seized just carefully cut if off with a die grinder and replace it. Live and learn, of course then you have to go through the whole messy process of refilling the tranny through the overflow plug . AT light, fluid temp. etc. Good write up on the forum on how to do this. Good advice.

Thx for help,

Nigel. Canada.

Crawdad likes this.
  9. rkortan

rkortan Member