Auto Writers Gush Over New Ford Ranger

I was looking at older (90's) Rangers a couple years ago just to have a beater for hauling recycling or loaning to family/friends. Everything I looked at was junk and/or gutless and sloppy. Ran across my '97 Taco for a song and even beaten it was an order of magnitude better built than the Rangers I had looked at. When I was looking to buy new last year I couldn't shake that experience.

My '70 Sport that I still have back home at Dad's. It's about 12 different trucks in 1. Haha.
Most of it's life I ran a 91 model 5.o roller and the Mazda 5 speed OD from an 80 something f150. (And averaged 19 mpg driving 110 miles per day a couple years ago in Louisiana!) Had 70's twin I beams with disks and an early 60's reared because it was narrower and made the 10's on back even with the 7's on front looking down the side.
The cab and bed are from the same truck but doors fenders and everything else are from other trucks. Love that old thing, built it as a teenager. It's been good to me but I signed it over to dad too. 20190102_120542.jpeg

V8 Monza from mid-70s. Number 8 plug change.
Step1: remove right motor mount
Step2: using floor jack, pivot motor 30 degrees to the left
You can probably guess the rest of the story including multiple broken plug tips.

Not my car, but provided many hours of humor in the neighborhood.

I saw on msn that you have to take the front left tire off and pull down the wheel well cover to get to the oil filter. That would be a pain
Reminds me of a J##p CJ-5/Ch#vy 400/400 mating that a neighbor in Idaho had. He just flat drilled holes in the fender well and dropped both front tires to get to the plugs!

I saw on msn that you have to take the front left tire off and pull down the wheel well cover to get to the oil filter. That would be a pain
Geez... and I was a tad disappointed that the canister on the turd gen was a little harder to get to than the filter on the 4.0... haha

All this Ford R&D to build a truck, that from a mechanical standpoint, is no better.

Fancy gadgets, looks boring and shiny plastic, and will no doubt spend a lot of time with the dealer... I knew I had nothing to worry about. [emoji41]

I'll be honest though, the new Gladiator looks impressive!

All this Ford R&D to build a truck, that from a mechanical standpoint, is no better.

Fancy gadgets, looks boring and shiny plastic, and will no doubt spend a lot of time with the dealer... I knew I had nothing to worry about. [emoji41]

I'll be honest though, the new Gladiator looks impressive!
Agreed. The Ranger looks a decade old already in my opinion, inside and out.

The Gladiator looks to be the real competition with clearance, add-ons, room for large tires with a small lift, the back seat is pretty awesome... but it's still a Jeep and pretty long honestly.

Back