Automatic trans radiator to power steering

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma Manuel butt it has a automatic trans radiator. It has inlets and outlets for the automatic trans butt I was thinking about running my power steering through it to help with heat/ thermal exchange. I do a lot of hunting and wheeling for fly fishing it’s been over a hundred here for a couple weeks straight.
I haven’t done it yett butt **** shoot your shot on if it would be worth it or would it actually help. I just don’t wanna burn up my PS pump becuase idk what it’s max fluid temp it can handle. Thankx tators

Before you do anything, get you power steering pump as hot as you can and then check the temperature with a temperature sensor. At the same time check the temperature of the side of the radiator you intend to circulate back to the PS system. Compare temps. But I'm thinking in all but the most extreme cases you will actually heat the PS fluid rather than cool it.

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma Manuel butt it has a automatic trans radiator. It has inlets and outlets for the automatic trans butt I was thinking about running my power steering through it to help with heat/ thermal exchange. I do a lot of hunting and wheeling for fly fishing it’s been over a hundred here for a couple weeks straight.
I haven’t done it yett butt **** shoot your shot on if it would be worth it or would it actually help. I just don’t wanna burn up my PS pump becuase idk what it’s max fluid temp it can handle. Thankx tators
Never heard of anyone using an external radiator for their power steering fluid. I just don't think its ever going to be an issue.

Sitting here checking replies, I had a thought. What is the operating pressure of power steering as opposed to that of a transmission. It would really suck to find out that the internal cooler wasn't up the the pressure. Or as a cheerleader says in one of my favorite movies "I'm not cleaning that up".

Sitting here checking replies, I had a thought. What is the operating pressure of power steering as opposed to that of a transmission. It would really suck to find out that the internal cooler wasn't up the the pressure. Or as a cheerleader says in one of my favorite movies "I'm not cleaning that up".
I think the only real pressure would be inside the rack.

Early 4th gen LS1 Camaros used coolant from the radiator to cool the power steering fluid, so I do not think using that cooler attached to your radiator would be much of a problem. Main thing is if power steering fluid temps consistently reach over 300 degrees F, you will have problems, a couple of spikes here and there aren't. Power steering temps between 250 and 300 are OK, but not the best. Temps between 180 and 250 are perfect.

Now, as far as that AT cooler working for power steering... I'm a BMW guy, and I don't take chances, but I do know many Audi/VW people that have used AT coolers for a power steering cooler.

I think the only real pressure would be inside the rack.
Pump puts out high pressure, then thru the rack and returns at a lower pressure. To flow through a cooler you still need a higher inlet than outlet pressure. So, if you tap off of the high pressure side you'll see full pump presure at the inlet of the cooler. and depending on the pressure drop on the cooler, the pressure may be high enough on the outlet. This would reduce the pressure drop available for functioning of the rack.

Now you could come out of the rack and through the cooler back to the pump. But the increased pressure drop from the cooler will still have a negative impact on the function of the rack. hether it's enough to cause issues I can't say without checking the pressures in the system.

I'm still not convinced that the coolling is needed. But doing a temperature survey would answer that question.

Back