Automatic transmission shudder... or not?

Good lesson in diagnostics and not listening to the owner's diagnosis.

Just listen to the symptoms as the owner describes then replicate and diagnose.

Often the fix is not the most complex or expensive.

Yep, you always want to listen to the owners complaint, not their diagnosis, although some owners know enough to be dangerous.

Good lesson in diagnostics and not listening to the owner's diagnosis.

Just listen to the symptoms as the owner describes then replicate and diagnose.

Often the fix is not the most complex or expensive.

i friggin' tried that on my rig :( ... several times the past several years
latest time told them (tranny shop) what is happenin (weird vibe at low RPMs rowing gears) and they FAILED to replicate it and still took good coin out of my pokcet

told them it does not always happen, just noticed it for the first time in Arkansas in hotter weather

the dumshitass $hit out his hole, 'what you want us to drive it to Arkansas?'

FML

You fail to understand intermittent problems are the most difficult to replicate.

You also fail to realize shop time has cost even when diagnosing a problem. You have a mechanic and/or a service bay tied up. So, YES, you need to pay for the shop time and their knowledge.

Perhaps you received the dumba55 reply due to presenting an entitled attitude.

Just handle the problem like all the other needed repairs on your rig.

Last edited:
boy, you fail to understand i have a desire to know whut is going on so i can get ahead before a major break happens like whut happened with the throwout bearing launching into a moving fan blade
or if its just nothing to worry about

these automotive 'experts' are well trained and should know EXACTLY what is going on from experience and training

Your "throw out bearing" problem was correctly diagnosed. YOU chose not to believe then delayed until a complete failure.

A mechanic can diagnose a problem with a recommended fix, BUT the mechanic can not force the repair.

The machine will eventually force the repair with a failure.

it was improperly diagnosed as throwout bearing making the chatter that i had cause for concern for over a year

that is not whut flew out into the moving engine fan blade, scarring it and chance to cause MAJOR damage

this noise here was at its worst, day or two before it broke getting off the highway

diagnosed on multi occasions over a year and nearly 100k miles as throwout bearing by master certed ASE toyota master

boy, you fail to understand i have a desire to know whut is going on so i can get ahead before a major break happens like whut happened with the throwout bearing launching into a moving fan blade
or if its just nothing to worry about

these automotive 'experts' are well trained and should know EXACTLY what is going on from experience and training
How would a throwout bearing get launched into a moving fan blade when this bearing in incased inside the bell housing. Makes more sense if the clutch pressure plate.

this noise here was at its worst, day or two before it broke getting off the highway

diagnosed on multi occasions over a year and nearly 100k miles as throwout bearing by master certed ASE toyota master

Imo, after hearing that video, you've got bigger issues than only a throw-out bearing.

Imo, after hearing that video, you've got bigger issues than only a throw-out bearing.

it was a big issue!

a 700$ part was failing :confused: and the master toyota diagnostic tech assured me the noise was the clutch bearing 4 months prior in the bitter cold to it making that recorded noise
FML

How would a throwout bearing get launched into a moving fan blade when this bearing in incased inside the bell housing. Makes more sense if the clutch pressure plate.

i know, right!?

that was the professional master toyota ASE diagnostic on the weird chatter it had for more than a year
it first popped up with the use of the A/C after turning it off exiting the highway

@tacojoel

Careful. You're not getting the full story. You'd have to dig through a lot of sand to find the grain of rice.

Short version.......as I recall from the multitude of threads.
Noise was diagnosed as a failing clutch on the A/C. Owner was convinced it was the clutch throw-out bearing and labeled the mechanic an ID10T. Drove it for roughly 4 months before the catastrophic failure.

@tacojoel

Careful. You're not getting the full story. You'd have to dig through a lot of sand to find the grain of rice.

Short version.......as I recall from the multitude of threads.
Noise was diagnosed as a failing clutch on the A/C. Owner was convinced it was the clutch throw-out bearing and labeled the mechanic an ID10T. Drove it for roughly 4 months before the catastrophic failure.
Now someone is making sense of this.
This is similar to Brandonnomics. Were told the latest, the economy is booming, inflation is almost non-existent, interest rates are lower than they ever have been, wages are way up, and the employment rate is less than 2%, lowest in history under this administration. We have the best leader this country has ever seen. Only question I have is...what type of dope are they smoking?

i had no clue whut the rattle was :confused: that is why i kept consulting the 'expertly trained' to tell me whut was the grinding noise at the time
trusted the master ASE certified Yota tech when they confirmed it was clutch throwout bearing making the racket on multi occasions

the AC part was when it first popped up in 2o19, a grinding noise at 2.1k rpm through the gears after the AC had been shut off

apparently U people do not know much about engine automechanics either or you could pinpoint whut was happening

the shop that replaced that 600$ part told me what was going on and so I learned from the experience that could have cost me the engine and a bunch of other pricey parts in there with a busted fan blade ripping things up

Back