Automatic Transmission - thunk/clunk when taking off or stopping

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by paposalsa, May 24, 2016.

1. paposalsa

paposalsa Member

I recently bought a 2wd crew cab 2004 in excellent shape.

I didn't notice this about the transmission during test drive, but now I'm noticing it.

anyone has the link for the fix for this issue below:
    Automatic Transmission - thunk/clunk when taking off or stopping

other than that the transmission works good....

Thanks

Rambo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. muddylilyota

muddylilyota New Member

This sounds kinda off topic but check all of your ujoints. The slack in all of them combined will make that kind of noise sometimes.

4. johng813

johng813 Well-Known Member

Defiantly sounds like ujoints. They're located under you truck on the driveshaft. If it's not ujoints it might be the diff but I highly doubt it.

5. Fenmik

Fenmik New Member

This is what is called axle wrap. Your leaf springs are worn out and when you stop or go it will clunk. You just need to get new leaf springs. Every thing else should be fine

travisinspace and texastacoma like this.
  6. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

I do t think 2 wd has u joints in shaft

7. kinghailfire

kinghailfire Member

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

You are low on Tranny fluid,drain at pan drain plug and refill with 3.2 quarts ATF !!!! Problem cured ! Guarenteed! ASE Diesel Gas Heavy equipment tech since 1978!

9. kinghailfire

kinghailfire Member

Thanks rambo! I will do that to mine because it's having problems every time I stop and especially when o stop abruptly. My next question is if I can do it myself or is it something I need to take to the shop to get done? Also what fluid is best to use? I have a 1999 Tacoma v6 3.4 4x4