Back up camera?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by John P. Ferry, Oct 7, 2018.

1. John P. Ferry

John P. Ferry Member

Hello,

I'm curious about what we see in the screen on dash when in reverse. I personally think the clarity and colors suck. I mean you can see them but their nothing like on other vehicles. My wife's Subarus back up camera shows a far clearer and more definitive picture to help backing up! Is there a way to improve the view using the back up screen vision on the Tacoma. I've heard guys say the dealer say it fine, normal or nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,
    John

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Clean the lens?

mcodyv likes this.
  4. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Me. John I would do what OR said I haven’t looked up like the resolution on the camera. Mine seems to be clear but our 4 runner doesn’t have one to compare to my Tacoma.

5. OP
    John P. Ferry

John P. Ferry Member

I'll check the lens again but I cleaned it couple times, I don't see much difference. I think its the colors on the Subaru are much deeper in color, thye stand out so much its really easy to see everything I fine the colors on the Tacoma are more muted. This and the fact the windshield wiper control doesn't have an intermittent level it with slow or fats and a mist you can hit when its gets enough to annoy you. It's amazing. they put every other technical item on there but the damn wiper speed you really need. Oh well getting use to the key entry system on the SR, but would have been better to have locks on both sides of the truck. Now if I come out of the store and want but something on the passenger side I've got to walk around to the drivers side to unlock the passengers side, not a biggie if its not pouring out!

6. OR17TRD

SR’s :( I’m sure you can get a SR5+ wiper assembly to have intermittent should be plug and play. TRD’s have auto locks. You can get an aftermarket alarm for the doors.

Bogunn likes this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Go to: Apps, Setup, Display and then choose camera or display and adjust as desired.
    IMG_0801.jpg IMG_0802.jpg IMG_0803.jpg IMG_0804.jpg

Also, clean the lens like @OR17TRD said.

The no intermittent wipers are a turd. I’ve had 4 Tacomas without it. You get used to it but it’s annoying. I’d throw an SR5 switch on there too.

I’d also put a lock/unlock on there with a fob. Easy and cheap installs. And totally worth it.

Bayern, oconnor, John dev and 2 others like this.
  8. tacoinmyfuture

tacoinmyfuture Active Member

I learned something new today!

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  9. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Great write-up! Thanks Bogunn

Bogunn likes this.
  10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

No problem buddy

11. John dev

John dev Well-Known Member

Hahahaha thanx a lot bud
    I tried it on right away it works
    Now it just like .y old 09 tacoma
    If not better

Bogunn likes this.
  12. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Good. Glad it worked for ya.

B-Man likes this.
  13. Scuzzy

Scuzzy Well-Known Member

Be happy your backup camera is not in the mirror...lol

14. OR17TRD

I couldn’t do the pre in dash display after having them. Haha

kp.taco likes this.
  15. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Yeah that's how mine was.. Now I have mirror and head unit camera. MUCH better..

Crawdad likes this.
  16. kp.taco

This is the first vehicle I've had with backup cam. It's awesome for hooking up trailers which I do pretty often..

Crawdad, OR17TRD and Scott Wyman like this.
  17. kp.taco

18. Scuzzy

Scuzzy Well-Known Member

Me too. But that iPad mount is starting to appeal to me, if I can figure out the camera set up...maybe a winter project...

Bogunn likes this.
  19. DEERTAY

DEERTAY Well-Known Member

What is this back up camera everyone is talking about lol

Scott Wyman likes this.