Bad night for the Taco

14YOTA

So Sunday night we had a minor snow storm here in South Jersey so of course I get called into work early. My shift doesn't start until 9 P.M., I get in around 7:15 approximately forty five minutes later I get a call for a breaking and entering in progress. I go to the call and find nobody inside. I clear from the call and immediately get another call for an accident that occurred in our parking lot the involved a CAR and a township plow truck. I arrived back to our headquarters to find my truck struck and ripped out of the parking spot by this outstanding plow truck driver. In case you where wondering my truck is two months old and does not have 3000 miles on it yet and its my first new vehicle ever. So you could imagine the seething anger I was feeling. So I called for another officer out to take the accident report so long story short my other officer is gathering the information and I smell alcohol on his breath. Results come back that the snow plow driver was 3x the legal limit while operating a township truck. Now i am waiting for there insurance company to get back to me about fixing my truck. They are trying to tell me to go through my insurance and they will reimburse me the deductible... Thats not happening. Now im worried since he ripped my whole truck out of the parking spot I am worried that my frame is bent from the cab back. Only time will tell. Thanks for reading my rant.

Sorry to hear man but at least you weren't in it.

Their insurance should be handling this not yours. Call yours and say what happened but that's it.

Last edited:
Yeah I did that the night it happened and they told me I had to contact the townships insurance company which makes no sense. But I am doing it to speed up the process on my truck. Unfortunately I have to jump through hoops in order to get my truck fixed like today I have to bring it to get an estimate of the damage and drop it off at town hall. I just want my truck back lol.

Well, I just got back from the body shop for an estimate. I pointed out how the horizontal lines on the cab doesn't line up with the horizontal lines on the bed. Body shop guy said it doesn't look right to him either but has no way of knowing until he puts it up on the lift and lasers the frame or something. Don't know if this is something normal but I was wondering if any of your tacos line up. Feed back is appreciated thanks guys.

I'm friendly with the body shop guy and he told me today if the frame is bent on the truck the insurance company must be charged at least %50 of the trucks total worth in damages in order for them to "total" the truck. He explained to me what happens if the truck is totaled Toyota gets the truck back and they put a new frame in it and sell it for almost what you pay for a new taco at auction. No disrespect warrior I hope that you are wrong. I mean I had absolutely nothing to do with the accident I wasn't even sitting in the damn truck lol.

I know, and the public employee drunk off his butt driving big machinery should be punished severely. My brother is a cop, and these are the kind of people that make him want to do his job. In reality, they should replace your truck with a new one all the same as yours!

I'm friendly with the body shop guy and he told me today if the frame is bent on the truck the insurance company must be charged at least %50 of the trucks total worth in damages in order for them to "total" the truck. He explained to me what happens if the truck is totaled Toyota gets the truck back and they put a new frame in it and sell it for almost what you pay for a new taco at auction. No disrespect warrior I hope that you are wrong. I mean I had absolutely nothing to do with the accident I wasn't even sitting in the damn truck lol.

Toyota doesn't get it back and they don't put a new frame on it either. The insurance company would sell it as is and get their money back from it.

Toyota doesn't get it back and they don't put a new frame on it either. The insurance company would sell it as is and get their money back from it.

Agreed, just happened to me but with a different vehicle. Nationwide totaled my restored '98 Jeep Cherokee and wouldn't let me buy it back from them claiming Michigan law wouldn't allow it over a certain percentage of loss. Supposedly to reduce fraud in Michigan. The insurance carrier owns it now.

It was totaled because of age/blue book vs repair values. I drove it away from the accident and looked forward to repairing it myself. Even had a donor vehicle :(

The good news is that I now have a Tacoma. In my case serious high quality lemonade was made out this.

Also, keep in mind that the carfax will show the damage, thus depreciating your truck further even if it's fixed perfectly.

Sucks that you are out risking your life while some loser is totaling your truck back at the parking lot. I hope that you are made whole. Only good news is that he did it at the absolutely perfect place to get nailed, and before he killed someone. 3x the limit?! So lucky he didn't kill anyone. Good for you for not shooting him. I wouldn't have the discipline to be a cop. I'd have to carry two or three boxes of bullets and at least a case of tickets out for every shift.

Reminds me of when I lived in Charlotte. Funny crook story reported that some drunk drove up to a 'drive up' in the middle of the night to order a quarter pounder with cheese. Turns out the loser pulled up to a speaker outside of a police station. They promptly arrested him!

Best of luck, and thanks for what you do.

Last edited:
Insurance Info

Hi

I just joined the forum, reading this post I wanted to make sure you know about Diminished Value - basically in the case of an accident that was not your fault you are entitled to claim Diminished Value.

"Diminished value Diminished Value: Diminished Value is the loss in a vehicle's value as a result of having been damaged. Depending upon the severity of sustained damages and the quality and thoroughness of the repair, a portion of its original value is restored; the extent of which must be determined by a recognized Diminished Value Expert. The remaining difference between the vehicle’s original pre-loss value and the restored value is considered the loss related Diminished Value or commonly referred to as“DV”.

I also experienced an incident similar ( no snow plow) to yours with an almost brand new vehicle and claimed over $ 6000 in diminished value. I used a claim company and they guided me through the negotiation with the 3rd party insurance company.

Hope this info helps - I still felt sick about my vehicle being trashed but the DV certainly eased the pain!

Good Luck
Nick

Thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback and concern. Truck will be dropped off tomorrow to start the process. Hopefully shes not bent up. And i'm definatley going to look into to the diminished value. Thanks again guys keep you all posted.

Had someone drive under me yesterday thankfully he was fine Took a few pics. Not sure the existent of damage done to my truck yetImageUploadedByTaco Forum1399030065.925152.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1399030098.324817.jpg

Back