Bead locks?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Brendan, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Brendan

Brendan Well-Known Member

New yota member here...Just picked up a new 2013 tacoma tx-trd. The wheels are BFG AT with the black powder TRD rims and a bead lock... My question is... Is the factory bead lock sufficient? It seems like "Loose" almost, or fake flimsy, in comparison to some bead locks I had on a Colorado I used to own... Anyone have any complaints about toyotas factory locks? Pros? Cons? Hit with some knowledge fools. Thanks. -B

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

They aren't real bead locks. The rims are just for show.

4. Tacoma Dave

Tacoma Dave Well-Known Member

A true bead lock rim is not D.O.T approved.

5. tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Most beadlocks are not DOT approved. I havent personally seen any that are but i know they are out there. But yes the locks on your TRD rims are the fake locks. They are just for show.

6. OP
    Brendan

Sob, they are fake! I didn't look closely at the dealership, I just saw em and thought, whatttt? Bead locks? Sweet! but all they are, are some cheap bolt on pos's on the rims... I'm a lil sad now..

7. OP
    Brendan

Whelp, looks like when I go to buy some 33's ill be buyin' an alternate set of rims too..with REAL bead locks!

8. eyecon

eyecon Well-Known Member

I wouldnt say they are POS. I actually like the look of tx rims. Are they functional as true beadlocks? No, but liek others have stated, real beadlocks are usually not DOT approved and I have read of some people having trouble getting a tire shop to mount them.

9. OP
    Brendan

Yea No doubt for sure they look good, I just wish they were legit... I've seen bead locks save many a tire on some rocky trails or when they're deflated for some sand and whatnot.

10. Tacoma Dave

Tacoma Dave Well-Known Member

11. HellaNella420

HellaNella420 Well-Known Member

Well...if you do ever decide to get rid of those rims...i could be interested in buying them.

12. OP
    Brendan

If I do ill shoot ya a msg, and if I'm gonna do It I'm gonna do it soon before they get all gunked up... Rims are still brand new, just hit 400 miles on my truck yesterday sooo...

13. HellaNella420

HellaNella420 Well-Known Member

Keep me posted. If i got the spare cash to burn when youre ready we can def do something.

14. OP
    Brendan

Will do man