Bead locks?

Brendan

New yota member here...Just picked up a new 2013 tacoma tx-trd. The wheels are BFG AT with the black powder TRD rims and a bead lock... My question is... Is the factory bead lock sufficient? It seems like "Loose" almost, or fake flimsy, in comparison to some bead locks I had on a Colorado I used to own... Anyone have any complaints about toyotas factory locks? Pros? Cons? Hit with some knowledge fools. Thanks. -B

Last edited:
Most beadlocks are not DOT approved. I havent personally seen any that are but i know they are out there. But yes the locks on your TRD rims are the fake locks. They are just for show.

Sob, they are fake! I didn't look closely at the dealership, I just saw em and thought, whatttt? Bead locks? Sweet! but all they are, are some cheap bolt on pos's on the rims... I'm a lil sad now..

Whelp, looks like when I go to buy some 33's ill be buyin' an alternate set of rims too..with REAL bead locks!

I wouldnt say they are POS. I actually like the look of tx rims. Are they functional as true beadlocks? No, but liek others have stated, real beadlocks are usually not DOT approved and I have read of some people having trouble getting a tire shop to mount them.

I wouldnt say they are POS. I actually like the look of tx rims. Are they functional as true beadlocks? No, but liek others have stated, real beadlocks are usually not DOT approved and I have read of some people having trouble getting a tire shop to mount them.

Yea No doubt for sure they look good, I just wish they were legit... I've seen bead locks save many a tire on some rocky trails or when they're deflated for some sand and whatnot.

Well...if you do ever decide to get rid of those rims...i could be interested in buying them.

If I do ill shoot ya a msg, and if I'm gonna do It I'm gonna do it soon before they get all gunked up... Rims are still brand new, just hit 400 miles on my truck yesterday sooo...

Back